Thursday, April 26, 2007

The Day Blurs Evening

Carrie, who long time readers of this blog will remember from post far too numerous to mention arrived here in Los Angeles yesterday after an absence of several years. In the time that has passed since I last eyed her, Carrie has paid some debts to society and more importantly to herself.
Carrie was at Devin and Dylan's apartment when I got of work last night. I drove home and met Amy and we walked over to their apartment. We popped up and said hello to Dylan and then collected Carrie and were on our way.
We decided to do our catching up at this establishment, Blvd Lounge. This picture was actually taken as we were leaving, and fitting it would be blurry. Nary a one of the three of us had been to this establishment before, but Devin had recommended it.
I'll also be open about the fact that I'm not just indulging myself with this blog, but also my mother, who requested a blog about dinner.
From the outside Blvd. Lounge has always looked like a trailer house to me, but from the inside it's very nice and upscale. The view is nice, it over looks the "Mathew Shepard Human Rights Triangle", sadly I lack the city infrastructure vocabulary to describe exactly what that is. I enjoyed looking out at passing cars, catching up with an old friend.These two fine people arrived shortly after we did. They ordered wine and some sort of martini. Check out the profile on the fellow. That is the stuff that children's book villains are made of.
I'm finding that my cellphone camera has some difficulty conveying light, which sad, because it was beautiful at the time this photo was taken last night.
Here Amy is telling Carrie a story, a story that has left Carrie obviously saying something to the effect of "Serious Dude?"
You maybe can't tell from where you sit, but Carrie is wearing a shirt that says: "Cheesy and Delicious". She's from Wisconsin you know.
Here I am surprised, by just about everything. Life in general, the evening in specific. I'm conveying through this self portrait my complete wonder at where the world takes you, and what it does with you when it gets you there.
I would have never predicted the evening this picture captures in progress, and I'm thrilled to have my world unfold that way.

Apparently the bar was not prepared for us. You are looking at the last three Large Sapporo's in the place. Apparently the fellow that does there ordering couldn't have predicted that we'd stop by for happy hour.
This is a flat bread pizza, with some type of very spicy sausage on it. It was pretty scrumptious.
As we talked along last night and I listened when my mouth wasn't speaking, I was reminded of something that I wanted to mention here, a bit about memory. I've often heard it say amongst my friends, that remembering things can be a real problem, and that it probably has something to do with getting older. I find when I catch myself forgetting something, like a name or the answer to a question I've already asked it's not because I didn't remember it, but because I was paying attention enough to even learn what I've since convinced myself I've forgotten. It's not often about memory, it's about participating fully in the gathering of information. Burgers... I watched the movie Fast Food Nation last night. The burger in this picture may well be my last. That movie or the book, should be required prior to the frequenting of a cooked food on the go establishment. I am reminded again that I should eat ethically. I wonder if I really needed reminded, or if I should have just paid attention.
With this final blurry shot I'll let you in on a little secret about me. When I go to a new restaurant I will always excuse myself to the restaurant at some point during my stay, weather I need to go or not. How someone can go into a restaurant and not check out what the bathroom looks like is beyond me. Also, on the chance the bathroom is what we call a "Onesy" I like to lock the door and take a moment of piece. Outside the conversation is flowing with drinks, and catching up is in progress so it's good to pause and allow the self a moment to reflect and reset.

2 comments:

Scarlet said...

You do indulge me, B...but the bathroom shot was unexpected. Glad to hear you are paying attention to healthy eating.

downtown said...

I know I'm being cheesy, but your blog is delicious! You made my first night in LA so very scrumptious. I can't wait to get my own pictures developed... although my camera is of the disposable variety so it will take a while. Stay tuned!