Thursday, April 19, 2007

Devin Session


Last night around 9 pm I packed up Vincent Free Sound studio and headed to Devin and Dylan's apartment where Devin was waiting to record keyboard part to a new song we are working on. I mentioned the song last week is possibly titled, Trance Ego, as you can see from the LCD screen on my fostex 16 track recorder. This is the tiny screen I end up staring at a great deal more that I should.
I usually insist that Devin comes to me, because I like to control my environment, and have all my available tools near by. I went to last night to Devin's because he was actually using his Garage band Software as a sound module for his synth. I was happy to oblige this because I wanted to see what it sounded like and to lend the track it's own unique character in the cannon of SG work.
Here is Devin now, listening to his own demo of the song on his computer so as to remember what notes he played. Devin has become quite capable at producing good quality work on his own set up, this means that I'll have to pay extra attention and take special care when I get into mixing this track because I don't want to find my services obsolete.
Devin is a very efficient player, he usually is well prepared and capable. He has excellent musical memory and I think he even counts in his head so he knows where he is at all times, that is useful, I should maybe start doing that. This is Devin playing the keyboard part that is very busy in the second chorus. I am very tempted to use a crazy delay timed to the beat on it, thus making it even busier. We shall see. This blog is probably incredibly boring for anyone that isn't Devin or Brandon. I suggest you just look at the pictures and enjoy.
This is your last picture of the Devin Session. I think this picture has some significance in that you can clearly see him playing his ancient concertmate keyboard that he used in all the Singe songs except "microscope", which has been unanimously voted as the worst Singe song of all time. Here's to squeezing a little more magic from the Concertmate.

1 comment:

Scarlet said...

Iloved the blog because of the B.L. Makes my heart sing! :)