Thursday, May 27, 2010

Rainy Morning Story

I felt I should take a little me time this morning and write a little story. Here you go:

Ten Early Minutes

I probably should have shined my shoes. What is that white stuff? How did I get white stuff on the tops of black shoes? It isn't like I wear one white shoe and one black shoe, that would makes sense if I did, cause the white shoe would scuff the black shoe and leave a mark. I hope this guy doesn't go for that whole "Shoes make the man" philosophy. Is it even going to be a guy? Surely they told me on the message, I should have paid more attention. At least I got the address right.
These walls must be mahogany. Deep rich mahogany, either that or really thick dry toffee. I should have eaten this morning.
I'm pretty sure it's going to be a guy, the receptionist is pretty in the way that would appeal to a guy, a white guy at that; wonder if that will work to my advantage.
I've always heard that you should show up early to these things but not too early. How could my cellphone be so much faster then the office clock? Maybe this guy is a real hard ass who likes to play psychological games with people. I bet there are guys that do stuff like that, they call people in for an interview or a meeting and then they have a slower clock then everyone else in the world and they make you sit hungry in a room with walls made of toffee and they watch you and have a snack. That painting doesn't even look real, that is probably where they would hide the camera. Or maybe it looks out from one of the letter O's on these fancy books there. I bet if I time that big clock behind her head with my cellphone I'd find that it moves at a slower ratio. This is the big test part, he will observe how I deal with being dumped into a circumstance that is counter to my normal perception and see how I react. By the time I get called in he will have totally made up his mind based on read outs of facial interpretation software. I wonder if the software has already alerted him that I'm wise to the ruse? I have slammed dunked this thing, scuffed shoes and all.
Scuffed shoes say a lot about a person: "I don't just dress like this for interviews, I wear shoes like this daily".
I bet if I got up and walked over and had a bite of that toffee book shelf this would all be over. He'd come out to shake my hand and offer me his number two slot.
"I could use somebody like you, somebody who eats when they're hungry and sleeps when they're tired and wears nice shoes on a regular basis."
What did that girl say her name was? Jessica? Jasmine? Should I be making small talk? She looks kind of busy. They probably want someone who knows when to talk and when to shut up. This is when you shut up, that girl just answers phones and jots down messages. The number two in a place like this wouldn't have much to say to a girl like that. She is fairly attractive though. Maybe this guy is a real cocksmith and he looks for that in others. I bet he fancies himself a Don Juan. He probably will want to take me out to some gentleman's club afterwards and see how I handle myself around women. He might be looking for a confidant. He might be banging Janice here and dying to tell some one about it. The whole interview is probably just going to be sordid details of what he does to her and how she likes it. I will need to appear impressed, but not all that interested. I don't want him to think I'm picturing him in his moment of conquest, better to appear that I've been in similar situations and that I respect him for his prowess. I'll probably have to keep up with listening to all his inner most secrets from here on out. It's going to get old but it will be worth it for the money.
When I tell people that I came in for an entry level interview and walked out of some bar eight hours later holding up the staggering president of the company with my new title of VP they will hardly believe it. I will just say that I used personality mirroring, and that I he saw something in me. I'll be really vague about it. People will fill in their own blanks. They will start to remember that they always saw something a little special in me, that there was just something a little more capable about me. When this guy is ready to retire he's going to pass the reigns to me, he's probably been looking for some one that reminds him of himself. I bet I will have to marry his daughter. She is probably beautiful but spoiled, but maybe she just hasn't met anyone she can be herself with. When he dies I'll just sell the company to the highest bidder and we will move to an Island. I'll probably cheat and she'll ignore it. She'll cheat too. We will have a house staff that is basically a harem. And we'll slowly grow to hate each other for our infidelity. We will start to play games with people like "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf". In the end we will realize that we are meant for one another and that we've really loved each other too much all along.
I'm going to need a new place to live while I wait to marry his daughter. He might even have a penthouse apartment somewhere for me. A place he takes women to, his own private sanctuary. It will be all modern and sparse and I won't bring anything into it. He will always chide me about that. "You gotta make yourself at home here Edwards! You are like a ghost. Make a mess, I pay people good money to clean up after you and you live like a damn monk." He will say those kind of things but in a way that lets me know he really respects my economy of life. I will only rarely bring people over to my new place, only after I've learned at what hours he might stop by. I won't see a lot of my old friends for quite a while after I get this job. I won't return phone calls for a month or so, I will mean to, but I just won't have time. I bet Allen will come by my place in two weeks and knock till he gets so worked up that he goes to the land lady to have her let him in so he can find my corpse. She will tell him how I called to tell her that I'm moving out and that she could do whatever she wanted with my stuff. She will tell him how I didn't care at all about my security deposit. She'll probably try and give him a box of my things. He will leave me a big "what the fuck" is up message and I'll finally return his call. I'll have him meet me in the bar on the ground floor of my new building and then he will pound me with questions. I will smile the whole time and tell him to relax and have a martini, "it's on me" I'll say, and "Relax for a second Allen, I've had a crazy couple of weeks, let me catch my breath and then I'll show you whats going on with me."
He will be shaking wanting so bad to know what has happened. I'll drink my drink and order another one but I'll secretly have it sent up to my room. Finally I'll just get up real cool and tell Allen, "All right just follow me and I'll show you what's been happening." When we walk into the lobby the door guy will smile and call me by name. I'll slap a $20 in his hand thank him. Allen won't know what to think of that. When we get into the elevator and I press PH he won't be able to stop the questions. I'll tell him just to be patient...

"David Edwards? Ms. Johnson will see you now."

No comments: