Thursday, January 19, 2006

My 200th Post

The following is a letter I wrote to Carrie about a year ago, I found it rather timely and informative. Maybe Carrie will as well, so of course I'll mail it to her. I have some responses from her(in present day) that I would like to post when I get a moment, today will not be that day though. I have been sliding in my professional life so I have decided today I will be a good person and fix that.
I've actually been in a funk this week. Serious financial problems and health issues have had me feeling less than my chipper self. I will prevail. I can see a great big light at the end of a tunnel, and unlike Whitney Houston, I know it's not a train... I'm coming around. Hope you all too, especially you Carrie.

Here is another thing. Carrie LOVES to get mail. Apparently nothing annoys a prison guard more than an inmate who gets lots of letters. Anyone, and I mean anyone, who happens to be inclined should send Carrie a letter. Introduce yourself or just impress your friends with your street smarts. She will write back to everyone who sends her mail. She rocks and you will learn something.




To: Carrie
From: Buckie

Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2004

My Darling Whip,
First off let me apologize for the vulgarity of typing a personal letter, please don’t view it as a symbol of my rudeness but merely a symptom of oppression forced upon me by my job. Imagine my employers actually believe they should not pay me to write letters to one of my dearest friends, so I must type, pretending that I‘m pounding out invoices or some other company gibberish, instead of writing to one of my dearest friends. I can not work under these conditions.
So hello dear. I hope you received our little card, I was a little concerned that the staff of your humble helpers hopeful home might take it for homosexual propaganda and have it destroyed. Did they dispose of our greeting of love? If they did I must tell you it was written in the very park where George Michael was arrested for looking for love in all the wrong restrooms, on a bright sun shining Sunday morning. Amy and I had of course awoken very early, sometime the morning before in fact, the early bird getting the “worm” per se. We decided to sit in the park and spread love to those we missed most, and you topped the list, yes DT you are always a top in our hearts…
To completely switch subject matter upon let me tell of a wonderful new hobby we have picked up. It is directly inspired by a very informative website called “findadeathdotcom” very interesting place, it’s filled with information about the deaths of celebrities, listing the addresses and pictures of the places they died. Not coming as a big surprise many of them died in Los Angeles, we look up the interesting ones, have a look at the Thomas guide and go have a look at them. It’s rather morbid I admit, but fascinating none the less. My favorite sight is the former home of Sharon Tate, It sits back in the hills above Benedict Canyon, we for some reason have been going there a lot.
We went hiking last weekend, that was something altogether new. Have you ever been to runyon canyon? It’s very cool, there are dogs everywhere so Amy was of course a big freak there. I don’t know if I can squeeze an entire paragraph out of Runyon Canyon, but I did like it so I found it worth mentioning. My main contention I guess was that hopefully when you get back here we can go hiking, your little bumble bee buzz of energy would be fun to see bounding over rocks, sticks and dogs. I wonder if you are running again?
One night while eating Koo Koo Roo in the park something strange and fantastic occurred, and to think back on it, it did directly involve Runyon Canyon, so it was doubly important to this missive that I brought that topic up in the preceding paragraph. Sitting there, enjoying a Chicken Caesar Sandwich, Macaroni and Cheese, and delightful Italian vegetables*, we were approached by a gorgeous golden retriever. Pet this wonderful dog we did, and this wonderful dog did eat some of my chicken that had fallen out of my mouth and onto the ground. The “owner“, though I prefer the term “human companion”, of this particular dog stood at a distance and spoke softly into a cell phone, approaching us only after the cell phone battery died. We took up a conversation with the polite man, who informed us that his name was Trev, and his dog friend was Riggs. As we conversed we found out the gentleman lived near by in the neighborhood, but when he attempted to recall the name of his street he had great difficulty, he said to us:
“Sorry, I recently had a head injury and now sometimes it’s hard to remember names of things. I was the guy who got bashed.”
Turns out our new found friend is Trev Broudy, the man that was gay bashed a little over a year ago in West Hollywood. Do you remember the sensation it all caused? The fact that this man was struck over the head with a baseball bat while standing with his male lover, left to fall to the ground, no attempt ever made to take a wallet watch or coin, and the police and state prosecutor decide this is a robbery gone bad, not a hate crime. We had a great talk with Trev he is a very nice man , it came up that he can’t drive now, his paripheal vision is missing, along with a small portion of his brain. Apparently Riggs loves Runyon Canyon, but the two of them cannot get there without someone to drive, we of course volunteered to fill the roll of drive. To date we have not yet managed to get together on this little hiking trip, but I believe it will happen soon., But we did decide to go with out him last weekend, so that’s why I wrote to you about that. I guess it seemed more interesting before I wrote it all down.
My Sister, Mother and Father all flew in to spend the Christmas holiday with Devin and I. It was a delight, they stayed in the gay Ramada Inn, across from the Palms. I hoped against hope that my Father would wonder out for a late night drink and head directly into the den of lesbian depravity, but it never happened. They arrived on Christmas Eve, and that night we all went to Devin’s Boss’ house in Silver Lake for a party. The evening culminated in the entire party crammed into the living room around the piano, as the keyboard player from Super Tramp, and a man who writes songs for Ozzy Osbourne led our merry goup of revelers in traditional Christmas Tunes. Miss Bah Humbug herself, Amy Crosby even sang aloud. We spent Christmas morning in the home of Devin and Dylan Tucker-Strecker, Much fun was had by all. We took them to eat at Barney’s Beanery that night, we felt bad about their old policy against homosexual patrons, but my dear father loves Peter Faulks portrayal of Columbo so much that he had to have a bowl of their chili, and a glass of milk. The next day we went shopping, and capped the evening with a trip to utter fab El Ceyote! Little trivia for you, El Ceyote was the establishment blessed with the dubious distinction of serving last meals to the entire party of Sharon Tate and company, just a few hours prior to the Manson family hacking them to bits. The next day we took them to Pinks for lunch, we told them how Bruce Willis proposed to Demi Moore while in line to order there. My Mother got a little teary thinking of how Bruce and Demi split, and Demi’s audacity to take up with that young ripe piece of boy meat Ashton Kutcher. We held our CD release party that night, so that our parents could finally see their boys make good. The party was held at universal bar and grill in universal city. We had a decent attendance and played up to standard. Has devin sent you the new cd “Sexy Clown Circus” yet? The family flew out early the next morning leaving Devin and I behind, to fend for ourselves and each other in the wilderness that is Los Angeles.
Remember that time at the Garage when you and I “met” those Double Mint Twins?
Funny thing, we keep running into Geno. One day we met him coming out of Turners and he was exceptionally pleased to see us, he said it was odd to run into us because he had been thinking about miss Whipplinger a great deal recently, and discussing you with a friend. He sends his love and would like to gaze upon your face again.
Amy ran into a ghost two weeks ago, one ex-roomate of yours Robert. Fresh out of jail and high on chrystal no less. Apparently he was busted on the charge of home invasion for breaking into someone’s home and threatening them with a gun. Something else about a stripper but Amy wasn’t certain what he meant. He did relate, not without a certain fondness, that he thought you were rather crazy, and of course the pot called the kettle black…
The Cats Henry and Arthur say hello, and they want food also.
How were your holidays? Did you do anything on New Years Eve? We actually didn’t do anything to ring in the new year, we just hung out at Devin’s and yelled from the roof top at the stroke of midnight.
I saw your letter detailing your adventure with Jen, sounds like your still practicing the theory of “yes”. Are you Meeting other people? If you get a chance to respond to this I’d like to hear some details of your daily life, I.e.: are you allowed to come and go as you please during the day? Do you work? Are you writing? Just anything Carrie will do.
I’m fairly happy these days. My job is good. I’m excited about the things going on with the band. We are collectively a little calmer then we have been.
Things are a little different friend wise, so many people that we were around last year aren’t around this year, some of them like you I miss constantly, and others I’m glad don’t come around anymore. You are still such a presence in our remaining group of mutual friends, you’d be astounded at the number of times your name comes up in daily occurrence. There are just so many memorable things that happened around you, that I believe you create for yourself and those around you, and it’s a good thing. There is a certain ripple that flows from you as you move through the water of life, and the people around you have no choice but to feel each wave as they pass outward and onward, it is a little sad though for people like me who are almost to far away to feel them, but if I know anything about you it’s that you’ll find away to get your ass back to L.A.
You were correct in feeling like Los Angeles is your home,
I love you and miss you,
*I’m not certain to the extent which you have been following the menu changes at Koo Koo Roo, but as of late some great menu items have disappeared, the wonderful and sumptuous item Italian vegetables, had been one of them. In a show of the true and just democratic system at work, the people demanded Italian vegetables back, and they received them.

No comments: