Friday, July 22, 2005

The Waiting Drove Me Mad

Last night we played with Sounds of Asteroth and Skates at the El Cid. It was really a trial in patience and a triumph of the rockin' spirit. I knew we were probably in trouble when at 10:30, the time S.O.A. told us they hoped to go on, a band we didn't even know had been booked took the stage. Long story shorter we waited to play, some people probably could have behaved a little more respectfully of us and somethings just can't be avoided. Finally we took the stage at 1:15a.m. just prior to this every single member of the band including the Go Go squad had informed me we were going to leave and not play... Well... I just wasn't' going to have it... I loaded up a shit heap of heavy equipment and I didn't do it to not get to play. I feared the worst as we were all in a shitty moods when we climbed the stage. Our "friend" playing long enough and slow enough that we didn't even get to pull the fucking curtain to set up... And we never get to play places that even have curtains... So here we go, mad as hell, tired and playing to a room of exactly 10 people.... And we somehow put it all behind us and fucking rock. At the end of the show everyone looked at me and told me they were glad we waited and played. I was thrilled!
Okay... Now to go back earlier to a couple points of the day that rocked the house good and proper.
Wednesday night the shitting heat was barely bearable. I felt violently ill most of the night as I sweated my internal organs out through my epidermis. So awful. So desperate was I to not have to repeat the entire problem that I finally begged my bosses to please let me borrow a portable air conditioner from work (okay, they offered actually and I didn't have to beg, I guess I'm just still feeling dramatic). When we finally did get home late last night we slept like dead babies in a meat locker. I'm in love with conditioned air.
Perhaps the greatest thing of all about the entire night, way better than even conditioned air, was Hoagie, our Mix Master, attending our show and bringing with him three rough mixes. We were able to sneak out to Amy's truck, Devin, Amy, Hoagie and I and listen to the work he has done. Nothing short of amazing, it was a huge boost to us in a bad night hear our music better than we've ever heard it before. I was so happy that Devin and Amy liked it as much as I did. Hoagie was even kind enough to be one of 2 of our people who had the strength to wait out show time, and his words afterwards were a HUGE boost in and of themselves.
All is well that ends.

No comments: