Friday, November 21, 2008

Sleepytown

I'm listening to a new song by my brother Devin. It's called Sleepytown. For those of you who read both of our blogs you will have already noticed Devin blogged about it this week. I was lucky enough to hear it once last night at his apartment. It's rough and the mix needs some work but the song itself is really all that matters at this point and as far as things I've heard by people I know i enjoy this hands down the most.
Perhaps it's because I come from the same place as my brother. I can Identify with the characters in this song. I understand the yearnings of living in a sleepytown.
More than identifying with the content of the song it's the melody, It's undeniable in the chorus. There is emotion dripping through the auto-tune, and that is no small feat. I want to be a part of this song, but I can also understand that Devin needs to sink and swim on his own musically for a while. Devin is by far the most truly motivated musician that I have ever had the pleasure to work with. The secret to Devin's success though is that he loves it, and he will continue to get better at writing songs and recording them because he enjoys it so much.
This song and Modern Life, which I was lucky enough to hear earlier in this year represent a sort of culmination for Devin. Everything he's been listening to and everything he's learned from his work in his current band have taught him how to do a great deal within the construct of a five minute pop song. Smash that knowledge against the new frontier of singing and writing the lyrics and you get the possibility of magic.
Godspeed Devin. I feel proud to be your little brother.

1 comment:

Scarlet said...

Lovely!