Tuesday, November 04, 2008

I raise my glass, tip back my head and laugh. Its not a snide laugh nor an I told you so. Its a laugh of recognition, a vigorous nod to the idea that we can still as a country rise to occasion.
Tonight we have elected a man that I would be nervous to have a beer with. A man who has worked hard his entire life. A man who values the constitution of the united states of america.

I'm nervous for Barack Obama, and I'm nervous for this country which I have never stopped loving. This is not a great time to be an american, nor an earthling. We are at critical mass. We need to be this involved from here on out, we can no longer rest on the achievements of the past. The infrastructure that those before us built is strained and needs replaced and improved. The good standing that our country once held in the world is gone and needs rebuilt but in a new inclusive spirit.

I'm so proud of everyone I know. You all worked so hard to inform each other and to remain engaged in a system that had seemed to forsake us. We need to continue to work this hard. We have to do better.

Proposition 8 is winning with 22 percent reporting. This makes is wrong. A constitutional amendment which removes a right is something the framers of our state of our country never intended. This is a very scary sign. Today it is gay marriage, what will it be next?

No comments: