Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Under the Spell


Check out my new guitar stand. How great is it that I have this in my living room? All of my instruments out of their cases, ready to go. The last two nights after Angela had fallen asleep on the couch I quietly walked over to the guitar stand and picked up my bass to lay down some tracks.
It feels really nice to be working on my own songs again. Feels like it did back when I was hard at work on the S no S project. This time it's more flexible though. I finally have a home set up that works for making music in again. I'm still using the fostex 16 track which I bought for 800 bucks like 9 years back, but recording into the computer for the most part, and using the fostex for no latency monitoring. It does to a certain extent though degrade my audio path. I could chase my tail forever waiting to have a nice clean path or I could just record with what I have and try and make improvements when I can. This is what I've been doing.

The other night I set down to get some work done on a song I wrote ages ago, with help from my friends Jason and Ginger. A tune that used to be called starry night. It began by Jason and I asking Ginger to provide us a line to start a new song and she said:
"Starry night, high above the treetops..." I really liked that line a lot and for years it was the actually the line that started the song. Over time Jason and I have rewrote many of the lines and soon the song sort of started to evolve, eventually the opening changed from "Starry night high above the treetops" to "Last night I was lost in deep thought". The melody over the years has progressed too but the initial seed of the melody came from the sound of the words that Ginger through out. Jason for his part added many of the lines, and encouraged me greatly by telling me it was his favorite hook that I have ever written. Jason actually contributed the title too "Under the Spell", which really dictated the direction the song started to go in. I hope to actually finish a recording of this song soon, so I can properly credit my good friends with helping me write one of my favorite songs I have ever written.

1 comment:

Scarlet said...

Love the guitar stand, how awesome to have them displayed so nicely and easy to use! Can't wait to hear the song!