Monday, October 12, 2009

Game Tape

Once again the weather is cooperating with blogging. It's overcast and chilly. I'm wearing a pinstripe suit jacket and blue and black striped scarf. I feel spiffy, and chilly. I've just retrieved a fresh cup of coffee from the back room and have sat back down to type this memorance to myself.

Memorance: A short note for future memory purpose.

I had a nice weekend. Friday night Angela and I went to see Paranormal Activity at the AMC 16 in Burbank. It was fucking scary. I'm sure a person could go see the film and not enjoy it, and not be scared, but it's your loss. Anyone can talk themselves out of enjoying a horror movie, it doesn't make you any smarter than anyone else, it just means that you are willing to waste your time and money. There is nothing wrong with not enjoying horror movies, if you are inclined not to, all I ask is that you don't see them, then you don't have to complain and I don't have to hear it. However, if you are inclined to spend your money and are willing to take the ride with your time, go see this film and let yourself get caught up. It's scary scary scary.

Saturday Devin and I went to see Capitalism, a Love Story. As good as anything Michael Moore has ever done. It's always hard to sit and face the facts about where the country I love is at and where it'd heading, but it's necessary at this point to take stock. It's a call to action that we can't afford not to answer.

Sunday Angela let me sleep really late while she worked on projects in the living room. I slept till nearly 1pm for the first time in ages. It was chilly and at times I had blankets and Simone to keep me warm. I crawled out of bed and did some chores around the house. Later we went for a drive, we drove past the Ennis House, pictured in the post below. We then drove over to have a look at the Debs Regional Park in Montecito. It was getting chili then so we didn't tarry. We instead went to fresh and easy to stock up on food for the coming week.

Sunday Afternoon I also watched the DVD of Invisible Materials first show. I"m very happy that Devin took the time to make the DVD and that Marc and Dylan took the time to film it. A person can learn a great deal about their own performance through such things.

Briefly I learned this:

As a group we need to focus on the vocals, without the music overpowering what we are all signing.

I need to be more respectful of the other players with my overall guitar volume.

I need to be more aware of dynamics when playing. There is no reason to be charging full steam ahead through out an entire song. It does not in fact "rock", it actually just borrows intensity during the most intense parts by not allowing any contrast.

And a crucial part of controlling dynamics is that it will allow me to listen more to what everyone around me is doing, thus allowing us to play as a unit, instead of a bunch of people trying to play and sing as loud as they possibly can.

I enjoyed the video a lot. It's great to have a record and to be able to honestly evaluate ones performance.

I hope to work hard and improve.

No comments: