Wednesday, October 07, 2009

go anywhere any time you want

Refreshing chill in the air this morning, the subtle seasonal changes of Los Angeles always awake in me a desire for more seasonal changes of the more extreme variety. I would love to go home and pick up Angela and a few changes of clothes and head to Kansas City for a long weekend.

Mom and Dad would pick us up at the airport. I would point out landmarks to Angela on the trip. She would be meeting my dad for the first time. She would soon be noticing how many stupid jokes he makes. Mom would be glowing back at me, happy to have a son home for a short spell.
IN this fantasy we arrive around 11:30am, and head immediately to Adrienne's law office to pick her up for lunch. We choose to travel far across town to the Jazz, by KU Med Center. Adrienne tells an amusing anecdote about some husband and wife who tried to steal their home from the bank. I order fried oysters and plenty of hush puppies. Angela chooses a fried shrimp dish. Dad and I split a big dish of craw fish.
As we leave Jazz and head towards Oddie's new house I like to see leaves turning colors. As we turn down her new street a feeling of jealousy washes over me. It's so cute, so near my friends Jason and Ginger, I consider her lucky and experience pangs of regret that I don't have a home on this street. I remember though, that I love my life and I would never give any part of it up. I think to myself that I can move at anytime, if the desire to live on this cute new street becomes too great.
I'm so proud of my little sister as I tour her new home. It's small and just beginning to be decorated. I wander through every room opening every cabinet and looking in every corner. Adrienne and Angela are laughing about some recited line from a movie which we all enjoy.
"next weekend is no good for me, the Jonas Brothers are in town"
Adrienne Brews a pot of coffee. and we all mill around in the living room, trying to find something to sit on. She apologises for the lack of furniture. It's okay, it just feel good to be here.
Inexplicably a cab pulls up in front of her home. As if by synchronicity of fantasy Devin, Dylan and Spike jump out of the yellow car and skipped to the door with their bags. Smiles and hugs all around. How did this surprise happen? What a wonderful world we live in!
Devin and Dylan take the tour of Adrienne's new home and have a cup of coffee with us. Soon though we all realize we are missing a family member. We load up in mom and dad's car, and Adrienne's car, which she somehow left at home to server the days fantasy, and head to Mom and Dads place in Olathe, where my younger brother Royal awaits.
Royal is so excited to see us. He hopes up and down and bounces from one person to another. Everyone comments on how much Royal and Angela look like one another.
As the sun is just beginning to set we all change into warm clothes and take Royal for a walk. As we are leaving Dad approaches me and hands me a Cuban cigar, which has somehow obtained. Amazing! We all walk through their peaceful neighborhood and wind our way along the creek. Telling stories of things that have happened and the things people have said. The day is passing as if it was just a dream.
When we return home Adrienne, Devin, Mom and Angela attack the kitchen. The proceed to cook a meal full of great bounty.
We gather in the dining room and drink wine and feast. Dylan tells a very funny story and we all laugh, I admire his beard. Dad makes a charming toast with just a hint of a tear in his eyes. Mom, Angela and Adrienne all have tears streaming down their face.
The wine continues to flow as we all watch a movie in the living room after dinner. It's cold outside, It's cozy inside and we all have blankets and each other for warmth. A fire crackles. It has been such a perfect day, and we are all happy to have spent it together.
It is so special to spend time with those we love. Enjoy every moment of everyday, and remind yourself that what happens to us in life are just a means to appreciate what we have. The world is so full of wonderful things, you can't hold on to them and there is no point in trying, just enjoy them while they happen and endeavor to make a priority of the things that really matter, and never fear a fantasy.

2 comments:

Scarlet said...

God I LOVE this blog, and I can actually FEEL it happening! No point in holding the tears back while reading this scenerio, just let them flow!!! Absence does make the heart grow fonder but I love your point about loving your life there, it makes our times together so special. But one day...

ronsolo said...

Hey, we would have shown up if we knew you were coming!