Monday, October 12, 2009

The Starvation

"We used to be a nation of farmers, but now it's less than two percent of the population in the United States. So a lot of us don't know a lot about what it takes to grow food."
- Judith Redmond, Full Belly Farms


Today on my lunch break I started watching this documentary, "the Future of food" . Should you be so inclined you can watch it here for free as I will be doing over my lunch break in the next week and half.

I was only able to watch the first 15 minutes today but already I'm scared to the pit of my soul. What the hell has been going in our world? How far from common sense will we stray before the hammer falls and falls hard?

It would seem to me that we need to have an endangered species list for varieties of our common foods.

I grew up on a farm, my mother stayed at home until my sister was five. Somehow my parents managed to raise a family from the food we grew and the cattle we raised. Would that be possible today? I highly doubt it. What a sad thing we have done to our country in the name of the profit motive.

What is it going to take for people to actually start having an open and honest dialog in this country about the very real situations which we are in? I feel like the pundits are screaming about nothing, and the media follows suit, all whipping up fervor over nothing, and people fall in line and pick a side of the days lucky non issue, while by the way side everything that really matters just slips further towards the drain.

We are circling ever closer to a tired, sad epitaph:

"they had all the clues and never saw it coming"

1 comment:

Scarlet said...

Scary!!!