Monday, October 05, 2009

Into October



I'm tired today but oh so better for it. Coming out of a fine weekend I'm looking forward to enjoying this week in the context of this month with a new arrived chill in the air. I love October.

Saturday night was the first Invisible Material show. 18 months is a long dry spell, as Ronnie pointed out to me. Playing live again with a band was such a joy. Speaking the musical language, even in the vocabulary of an infant is a blessing! Rocking through 9 songs in half an hour with brother and friends and my girlfriend dancing was worth all the time spent in the basement rehearsal space and later in cascade studios. The world didn't change in any noticeable way, but my world got better.

Last night I went with Devin, Dylan and Angie to see Kylie Minogue in concert. WOW! One of the best shows I've ever seen, at a venue that has such a big place in my heart, the Hollywood Bowl.
While watching the show I had many thoughts that I was trying to remember to share, here is my attempt.

First of all singing at a show. I have been hot and cold to this for sometime but have never really taken a firm concrete stance on the issue, except I have been fairly annoyed at artists who go so far as to yell at the fans for doing this, I think pop musicians need to get over themselves if they do this... Ridiculous. So my concrete stance is now developed and it's this. You should at least for one song sing along at a concert if you know the words. To raise your voice and actually sing along with an artist which has come to entertain you is a valuable participation in the process, your voice adds vibration to the movement and it helps to complete the circle. Enjoy yourself and make your small vibrational mark on the experience.

Second thought. If you have a friend or family member who you respect that has different taste in arts and entertainment than you then pay attention to the things which that person really loves, and ask them to take you along when they go to their favorite of these events (concerts, movies, et cetera). While there as unobtrusively as possible ask them questions about what is going (unless you are at the movies, for god sakes shut up at the movies and ask your questions later). I found out last night just how rewarding this could be. I thought I only new one Kylie Minogue song prior to last nights show, and I couldn't have really given her any more thought than that, but I should have. I had the clues to know that there was more going on with Kylie, both my brother and girlfriend are HUGE fans, yet I remained in the dark. When Angela asked me if I wanted to go I wasn't certain, but I love the bowl and I love spending time with my good friends so I said yes, though our tickets were rather pricey. I will am thrilled now that I went. I enjoyed the show from start to finish. I had a Kylie expert in Devin standing next to me, answering my questions and enriching my experience. Thank you to everyone who was part of last night. It was magic.

Another thought I had, people tend to put down pop musicians as plastic and disposable but I noticed this last night. The stage production that I was last night is responsible for thousands of creative and technical jobs. There is nothing disposable about creating work for people in areas where they make something one of a kind, that fits into a unique whole that brings joy to thousands. Way to go Kylie!

Last thought, I love that Angela cries uncontrollable tears of joy when she loves something. It reminds me of my mother.

1 comment:

Scarlet said...

Ahhh, I'm tearing up! So glad you enjoyed performing again and loved the pics at the Anarchy. Too bad the drummer hardly gets in any shots, though! Who played the cello?