Friday, January 08, 2010

Rewriting is Trying

I'm feeling amazing today. The combination of exercise and Friday are treating me nicely. I don't mean to be smiley and ridiculous, I'm sure it sounds annoying some folks, but I'm not going to feel fantastic and not blog about it, if only to counterpoint all the times I've been tired and blogged about it. Last night I ran a solid 5 miles, at nice pace through the darkened streets of Atwater Village. I was a bit stoned and I had my headphones on, listening to the album "Prick", by "Prick. When I walked in the door Angela looked at me and said, "My god, you really do love to run. You always look so spry when you walk in afterwards." I nearly blushed but it's true. There is something primal about running and pushing my body, it connects me to myself.

After a nice dinner and a couple of episodes in my on going revisiting of the 6ft under series, I sat down and began to actually revise and rewrite the "More Possible Than Perfect" manuscript. It was slow going, I ended up rewriting several sentences and paragraphs on the back of the typed sheets. I enjoyed the work, but I recognize that re-writing is going to be a labor for me. This type of work is not something that comes easily to me. I have always believed in the initial burst in all creative endeavor, musically my entire goal has been to become proficient enough to pull of something close to finished the first time out, thus eliminating the drudgery. I realize now though that there is benefit form a look back and rewrite and re-visit. I may need to really structure a period of time for re-writing, because I don't trust myself to do it any other way.

Speaking of Prick, I really must blog about that album and "concentration" by Machines of Loving Grace.

2 comments:

Devin Tait said...

Re-writing is arduous. I remember when I was editor of the various newspapers and yearbooks I oversaw through my schooling, that was the part I hated. But I've found it's easier if you're not in any hurry, and have the luxury of putting a piece of writing away for long enough to almost forget it before you come back and rework it.

Scarlet said...

Good advice, Devin.