Thursday, January 28, 2010

Making Music

I've been lusting after a piece of gear lately. It's a Zoom R16. I very small, plastic device that can record up to 16 tracks of digital audio. I have a device that can do this already, but it is now nearly 10 years old. That device is the fostex VF16, and it has served me well and I have loved it at every step. This week I took that device into the bedroom of our apartment and have started building a new version of an old song the way I used to, track by track with me, an instrument and a microphone. It's been a very revealing experience. I and that when I'm not sitting in front of a computer, watching a wave form write onto my computer screen as I record that I lose my self much easier. Rather than watching the computer display scroll by with the large measure counter, always showing me where I am in the song, I am in the song playing it. It has become far to easy for me to go through a new song section by section, often looping 8 measures at a time and just playing it until I get it right once. This is embarrassing to my old self. I always chose to play each instrument, all the way through the song until I could play it right, because I told myself that each part I learned to play right made me a better musician. Somewhere along the way I stopped focusing on that. There is no justification for it, I never got the level where I felt I had achieved so much as a musician that I should give myself time off for good behavior. I came across a quote yesterday which I loved. "Amateurs practice till the can get it right, professionals practice until they can't get it wrong." Oh so true.
Back to the gear lust. The zoom device updates my current multitracker, and it costs half as much as what I paid for the device I currently have 10 years ago. It uses removable, silent memory cards where the old one uses a noisy hard drive. My old device could only record at 16 bits, where the zoom will give me 24. The zoom is absurdly portable, but perhaps a bit flimsy and can function off battery power, where the fostex cannot. The greatest update that I will gain if I am able to purchase the new device is that I can easily transfer files back and forth between my computer's Digital Audio Workstation and the Multitracker, something that I can not currently do.
Ultimately this new device won't fix all my problems but I have realized something this week. In recording songs the most important part of the chain has nothing to do with the gear you choose to capture it on, it simply comes down to getting a great performance. There are thousands of examples of songs recorded in less than stellar fashion that endure the test of time because they are well written, superbly performed pieces and they communicate something deeper to the listener. There are many songs being made today that sound absoulutely amazing when you first hear them, because they are completely perfect in every which way, and all the sounds jump out of the speaker and bash your inner ear, but I believe many of these songs rely too much on modern shock and awe production and once the initial vibration dies down all that we will be left with is an absurd ringing in our ears.

I started recording music cause it's fun and I liked to write songs. This week as I simplified the recording process all the fun I used to have started flooding back to me again. Within the next month I hope to update to the Zoom r16 and continue the positive flow of vibration.

1 comment:

Devin Tait said...

I'm very excited to see what you do with the new equipment!