Monday, January 11, 2010

The Love of a Park

Weekend mornings when I don't have to work Angela likes me to sleep in. She will flat out insist that I not get up before Nine. Angela herself gets up between Five and Seven, assuming that we didn't party too much. These weekend days, like most days begin with her familar exclaimed question: "coffees?". This is generally the first thing I am aware of in the morning. It's a plea, it's short hand, it means "Brandon you know that I am unable to function in the morning at all without the that most wonderful of beverages coffee. I would very much like to have a cup so that I may get out of bed and clean and organize things the way that I like them. I have many projects to start and I'm so close to being able to do them, yet my eyes are welded shut by the residule force of sleep. If you will kindly get up and make a pot of coffee, I will get up and get to work while you sleep." I have come to like this morning call for "coffees". I am a blessed sleeper, I can and do fall into sleep very easily. I know how many people struggle with this, and I don't wish to rub their noses in it but I am just made this way. So I make the "coffees" and I go right back to bed and fall quickly back into a deep satisfying sleep, and I'll continue in this slumber for anywhere from one to five hours. Occasionally Angela will take a running leap and fly onto the bed to make sure I'm still breathing and because it makes me giggle. This is the way that it goes on weekend mornings around our apartment.
Yesterday was one of these mornings. Angela was up before Six, and I finally got out of bed around Ten. I ventured out to the living room, said hello to the kitties and poured myself a cup of coffee. It was a beautiful morning and I quickly decided that I wanted to go for a nice long run in griffith park. I conferred with Angela about our plans for the day and the chores to be done. I had a small lists of domestic tasks and we had plans for the evening. I was pleased and began to dress in my shorts and a T-shirt. I filled a large bottle of water and enjoyed a bit of maryjane and I was off.
I leave the car in the parking area at Mineral Wells. I have been making an effort to stretch before working out. I walked into a large clearing of green grass, the sun was shining on me. Each ray of the sun that touched my skin sent a relaxing wave through my being. I started to slow my breathing and stretch.
I started slowly up the steep hill that leads towards Mount Lee. My legs burned a bit but not bad. After Two Hundred meters the incline tapers off some and I started to increase my pace. My mouth was dry so I decided that I would change routes and run around the old Toyon Canyon landfill and stop at the only freshwater drinking fountain in the upper parts of the park. This Drinking fountain is a favorite discovery of mine, I'm sure there are not many who know where it is.
After a big drink and wetting my head I was off, up the back of Mt. Hollywood and over it's peak to a the look out point on the southern end. A stunning view of los angeles. Stopped there to catch my breath and acknowledge that I am now completely in love with this gift from Griffith Jenkins Griffith to all of us. A park of this natural beauty doesn't make up for shooting your wife in the face and only serving two years, but it's a nice attempt at atonement, and I appreciate it all the same.
The run down from the peak is a gift from gravity which I fought all the way up. Letting my body fall and my feet keep me upright. Amazing feeling.

No comments: