Friday, February 22, 2008

I don't know if I'll make it home tonight...

This guitar does not even belong to me. It doesn't make the most superb sound. It's mentioned here mainly because I was able to take it with me to Tahiti. I was able to to do that because it was small enough to fit in a modified guitar case which I have. Island hoping planes are not exactly safe for luggage, so the fact that I had no emotional investment in this guitar helped some to. It's the sort of guitar you can take a bath with.
The guitar belongs to an old friend of Amy's, named Nicki. Amy borrowed it when she started our fair band, and she has since gone missing from her life. She resurfaced once, to see the first show where I first played my below blogged about Telecaster, Nodter. All things guitar seem to be connected, do they not? Nicki has children, and Amy misses her. I would love it if she'd again resurface so that her children might one day write songs on this guitar. And they could wonder about it's strange new adornment, which happens to be the Hinano (good Tahitian beer) logo.
There is an actual four track recording of this guitar made in Tahiti, yes, I took a four track to Tahiti... It has since fried, so it will be sometime before we ever hear what it sounds like. If I recall nothing earth shattering was recorded there. I think the best part about taking this guitar to Tahiti, other than having something to play in beautiful settings, was the reaction of the locals. The Tahitian people can be summed up nicely in one odd repeated action that one would never encounter here. Any Tahitian man that worked for a hotel or airline that came near the guitar in it's case would immediately open it to have a look. Many would open it take it out and play it, all without asking, and weather I was there or not. I loved that. It's seems to me that they don't feel the same way about owning musical instruments. We should all feel that way. Let's take the locks off the instruments and instead teach respect and love for people and music. This guitar now means that to me. That's why I want Nicki to come take this guitar back to her kids where it belongs.

1 comment:

Scarlet said...

You do mean the guitar, right?