Wednesday, February 13, 2008

No Name, Just Slogan

This is the first guitar I bought with... someone else's money. Visa to be exact. Let me be clear about this for the young folks, never buy a guitar you can't afford on credit, unless you've played it and you feel justified in later selling your body to pay for it, preferably later that night so you can minimize the absurd amount of interest accruing on your credit card. But enough with the bitterness.
Visa bought me this guitar in the fall of 1998. I ordered it from musicians friend for something in the neighborhood of $550. If I had bought a Standard Telecaster at the time instead I would probably be a much better guitar player and have better credit. Alas I did not. I don't regret that I didn't make this choice, because I'm not the kind of guy who goes around believing that it's wise to second guess the space time continuum.
This guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. Epiphone does not sell nice guitars, the like a lot of low end guitar builders make guitars that can be made nice. In the beginning this guitar had god awful plastic tuning pegs, which couldn't hold a guitar in tune to save my sold for credit soul. One of them would eventually break, forcing me to tune the guitar with a pair of vice grips for a while. Ronnie finally saved my bacon and replaced the broken peg for me. Ronnie is handy!
Being a teenager and waiting for your new guitar to come by parcel delivery is very difficult. I waited as best I could the 2 weeks it took this guitar to arrive. Finally the day came when the tracking number stated my package would be delivered. I waited all day and as the afternoon faded my evening shift at Dillons Grocery store Loomed present. I had to work 6 to midnight, and by 5:30 I was crushed, knowing I had to face yet another dreadful shift placing cans, bags and boxes on shelves. To assure getting to work on time across the bussling metropolis that is Hays, Kansas, I had to leave my parents house by 5:45. By 5:50 I bit the bullet and left. As I drove crestfallen down 41st street, I kept glancing back in my review mirror. Just as I Neared the old Tupperware building I saw the big brown UPS truck turn the corner onto Country Lane. Dillons be damned I turned around and sped towards my house. As I rounded the corner I saw the UPS truck leaving my driveway! I pulled in just after he left and ran into the house. There was the box! There was my new guitar! I opened the box and plucked the guitar from it's case. It looked beautiful. I would have it for years before the short comings of the hardware really hit me.
I played this guitar with my first 2 bands Singe and Plaything. It was my go to electric guitar during that time. As the years went by the tuners just got worse and the electronics started to short out. Eventually it would fall into very little use as I started to favor the acoustic guitar after plaything broke up. It was resurrected as best as possible with out a complete overhaul and became the only electric guitar used on any S no S record, except for of course Ronnie's bitchin' lead on "Mind Unusual".
When I moved to North Hollywood and slowly fell into SG I intended to make use of the guitar then, by that time the tuning pegs were wobbly and the screws that held most hardware in place were stripped. Then Nodter came along and this guitar went back in it's case and sat for a long while. Finally one day it occurred to me that I shouldn't just let it sit. I had gone into serious Credit Card Death for this guitar, my parent bailed me out. I should fix it. Fix it I did. I rewired the switch and a volume pot, making the most of my awful solder skills. I purchased Grover Locking tuners and learned from the internet how to bore the holes in the head stock safely bigger to install them. All of that said and done I ended up with a guitar that finally feels like it's worth what I paid for it, as long as you don't factor in the interest and the stress of an unpaid credit card.
As of now this guitar still has no name. It does sport the Findadeath.com death hag sticker proudly. I even went so far as to play it during a gig filmed for LOGO, on the off hand chance that the sticker would be on TV. I'm like that.

2 comments:

Devin Tait said...

Hmm, I never realized that was that guitar! I thought that was a relatively new guitar! Shows how much I pay attention.

Scarlet said...

I really enjoyed reading about "No Name" and it didn't make me cry like the other two guitar stories, but it did make me laugh and I loved the part about how you waited for the UPS truck!