Sunday, February 10, 2008

Welcome Mat

Today felt like home. I woke up early, something ridiculous like 9:30 am. I wondered into the living room where a pink mouth met me stretched wide in an I'm hungry "Meow". I shuffled sock footed behind the tail raised in anticipation into the kitchen. I opened a cabinet with my opposable thumb and plucked a packed of gravy from perch. The pink mouth watched in amazement, If he could do this himself he wouldn't even need me, at least until the gravy perch was empty of packets. The mouth I wondered into the living. The sun beamed in through the half opened window. I picked up a piece of cornbread wrapped in cellophane and unwrapped it. I plucked off a corner and enjoyed it. It was good. I had another bite. I then walked back to the kitchen and found a fruit juice beverage in the fridge. The top made a satisfying pop when twisted off. I had a very large drink. I took a few steps to my right and opened my email. Hoagie had written sometime earlier that morning to say that he'd been cranking away on "Socially Activist" all night and was just now getting to bed. He said we should come at around 3 O'clock. I wandered back into the living room and had another bite of cornbread. I snuggly wrapped the cornbread back into it's airless existence and set it back on the table. I walked back to the bedroom and climbed in the bed.

My real day began Saturday just after 1 Pm. I woke up feeling fresh and excited. Phone calls were made things were eaten and the normal human cleaning transpired. By 2:15 Devin, Amy and I were all in the car en route to Malibu, home of the fantastic Sea monster Sounds.

Our first order of business was an eyes shut preview of "Socially Activist". There had been some misunderstandings along the way on what the song would be and in what directions the song had been heading. The past two weeks had been spent getting everyone on the same page and moving forward to the completion of the song. I think it was beyond clear to the three of us sitting there with out eyes closed staring at the screen that it had all been worth it. It had been one of my least favorite songs in the past, and now I can't hear it enough. Devin told me ha can't imagine it not being a hit. There are certain moments when I'm overwhelmingly proud to be in the band I'm in, making the records we are making, this moment was one of the big ones.

Next order of business was tracking some passes at final vocals. First up was Legalese. I helped set up and listened to the first take, then I decided I should let the magic happen. I went for a nice meandering walk through the hills above the studio. Listening to the sounds of the surf. It felt great to be out of the city, knowing something was being accomplished.

Returning to the studio I listened at the door for brief moment. Amy was somewhere in the middle of the 30 vocal takes she would do on "Legalese" through out the day.

I watched the sunset from the back porch with my guitar and glass of wine. Across the canyon from me I could see three deer grazing. If I abruptly changed the part I was playing their heads would perk up and point in my direction.

After the sunset food was prepared. Amy and Hoagie emerged from the studio for a brief break and then returned to cut vocals for "Idiot Light". They emerged again several hours later and we all socialized and lounged around.

If days get better than this I don't want any part of them.

1 comment:

Scarlet said...

I read this one last and I have to say, I am glad I read them backwards. Now I can go to bed smiling and thinking how good you are with feelings into words. I love you!