Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Pitter Pattering


My pretend dog is getting wet.

Another nice day for background atmosphere. A nice slosh splash juttery rhythm of cars cruising past on the avenue. I'm drinking coffee, trying to get a grasp on the day I've got ahead of me. The work day could get busy, there is the looming threat of many invoices to type. I'm okay with this, I can use the distraction from the passage of time. It's a grey day, I can dig most things on a grey day.
Last night was hard, I was very tired. Fighting through fatigue paid off though and now we have a good start at sorting out our life from the mess of it left behind in our apartment. Going to bed early last night helped also, I'm still a bit dull around the edges but I think as the day passes the rain will make me a fresh faced buckie by works end.

As it's raining and I'm thinking about passing time and what not, I think now would be an ideal day to go back and have a look at what the hell I was doing in April of last year. This should be fun. I leave you now, to reacquaint myself with me.

So I'm back from April 2005. It was a nice journey. I found that this time last year I had just mailed the first draft mixes of the Ladyslipper single to Hoagie Hill @ Seamonster Sounds. There is reference a bit later in the month to the single being basically done. I'm happy to realize that this far into the year we were still working on the single instead of the album, it makes me feel like we were maybe a bit more on the ball then I felt like at the time.

A huge mega re-occurring theme of April last month was once again, desire for self improvement mixed with obvious disregard for what makes a healthy person. I would get frustrated by the fact that I started this post, a year later with basically the same desire, except that you'll notice that I appear to be winning in today's post, this is my foot hold, and you can bet I'm dug in.
On this topic I thinks it's also important to note that I'm unnaturally biased towards normal life when I blog. You don't catch me sitting down to a computer to jot down a few lines when I'm feeling like setting the world on fire. Nope... That friends is never the case. On days/nights like that I'm generally out looking for a match. Sometimes I just get a foothold instead.

Along the lines of health and taking care of the self there is also the often mentioned walking that I seemed to be so fond of last spring. Walking to and from the subway. It is with shame that I update this year with the note that I'm not walking, nor even riding the subway. I'm currently blessed with a company van which has no better home. I do feel a bit sold out, but I let me be the first to say that after three years of dragging my ass to work through walking, busing, training and ride begging I basically feel okay with a small sell out break. Really, it's not like I bought a car or anything. It's not like I can go anywhere other than work in it. Most important though, that sell out feeling feels really nice when I'm sleeping an extra hour every morning. I work for good people.

There is a statistic thrown out in April of last year that places Free Alongside Ship at near 70% complete. I do believe this was my unwavering optimism at work yet again. It's interesting that we had been getting together on a weekend to listen to progress at this time last year, basically I think getting back into the album mode as opposed to single mode. And just this morning we all made a plan to get together tomorrow and record demos of new songs for the next album. The cycle continues. "never break the chain"

I can't help but in all this looking back to think of time way past, when I happened to live in Kansas City and I was so deeply hard at work on S no S "May April". That was a fun spring. I was working at the nursing home until 5, coming straight home and going down to the basement to record take after take. I guess I have been working hard for some years now already, and if you get me alone on a nice rainy day I might even admit it.

No comments: