Tuesday, March 17, 2009

First Run Steps in the New Hood

I spent my first two weeks in the new apartment working out in the fitness center of the new apartment complex. It was a nice change of pace and good after running on concrete all winter long to go low to no impact on the Elliptical machine, as well as get to do some weight training. I intend to continue doing weight training and some cardio sessions on the machines but I want to intersperse it with some serious Griffith Park runs.

Last night was my first outdoor run since moving. It was amazing. I headed up Los Feliz Blvd toward Griffith Park. It felt nice to be back in the open air. The sun was still up even at 6:30 in the evening but the light wasn't so direct anymore. I had a vague notion that I'd go look for the old Los Angeles Zoo on my run.



I had a decent idea where it was and after another half hour of running I found it. It was a ghost town in the park as the sun was setting. If that sight was ever going to be really creepy it was being there alone as the sun was setting.

I soon left the site of the old zoo and headed back towards a tunnel I had passed on my way through the park, thinking that it appeared to head under the freeway, which would cut off a considerable amount of crossing traffic on my way to the park. Well, really just one bad intersection with a freeway off ramp.

The Tunnel was a bit creepy too, being as dark as it was. Luckily I'm not so small. I wasn't to afraid to run through it. Turns out it's an Equestrian tunnel which allows people on horseback better access to the park. How fun that must be. Sure enough the Tunnel Popped out on the other side of the 5 freeway on the bike trail wich runs along the LA river. I was very happy to make this discovery.

I ran home smiling feeling very happy to live in a new neighborhood surrounded by so much nature and so many new adventures.

I'm about to turn 30 years old. I have a new apartment and a girlfriend I love. Life is still nice. As the inside of apartment comes more and more together the outside opens up and reveals to me more secrets of a happy existence.

Added bonus. I'm getting a new computer desk for my birthday, thanks mom and dad! We wanted to upgrade the keyboard and mouse to wireless, since the old ones were crappy and worn and we didn't really want all the ugly cords about. Oddly enough the other day as we were getting out of the car in our new building we noticed that there was a keyboard box sitting on a chair in the garage in the are near the trash. I at first walked past it but then I had second thoughts, maybe there was something more to this... I opened the box and found a wireless mouse and keyboard... but no way it works right... Well, a battery change later and it means business! A nice totally clean and working wireless mouse and keyboard for free! Happy happy.

1 comment:

Scarlet said...

Lucky you!
Happy Birthday! We will be thinking of you all day, so expect a call.