Wednesday, March 04, 2009

The Bride Stripped Bare

Today at work is a sad day. It's raining and we had to lay two people off. I will miss both of my co-workers that have had their lives suddenly altered by the state of things in the financial realm.

There are consequences to the decision that are made. Being in charge is a tough job and I don't envy anyone in the driver's seat. It is a great responsibilty to be at the top, and as Americans living in a representative republic it's important that we take our job of electing representatives carefully.

When the books don't add up something must be sacraficed so that another page in the ledger will exist to be written.

When I was younger I hated the establishment so thouroughly I wanted nothing more than to watch it come down. I may live to see the wishes of an angry young man come to pass. I have grown up and I have built around me a life that I love to live. I would like to talk to that young man and let him know that it's going to work out. At the same time I feel that the things that drove me to such anger and dissatisfaction are valid and very real, and are now coming home in part to roost.

I didn't realize as a young man that I would be drawn in, and culpable, and just as threatened by the giant sucking sound now gathering around us all.

It is my hope that our system in shambles will result in something better being built in it's place, and I hope that the price isn't so dear for all of us.

I'm an optimist, through and through. I love my fellow man and almost by default see the good in all people. There are people out there that do not care about the world they live, they are not open to the idea that everyone deserves a good life. They are driven by base selfish instinct and a complete inability to see that there is no point in being the richest person in your nieghborhood if all your neighbors are starving and desperate. Inequility of that nature will violently work itself out.

To sign off, I just want to let everyone know that my job is on firm footing. I feel for my coworkers that were let go this morning. I feel for family's struggling to feed children and to keep their house. I'm going to try and be a little more understand of people I encounter out in the world, the stress that some folks are under may be more than meets the eye.

1 comment:

Scarlet said...

I am sad to hear hard times have come to your business, too. Things are really bad for our school district and major cuts will have to be made. Who knows what next year will bring, if we will keep our jobs, even.