Wednesday, April 02, 2008

The Evolution of the Screen

In the past three days it's been my unique position to compare and contrast two vastly different movie experiences.
To begin with sunday, as you can see from the picture above I attended a drive in movie. Two movies to be precise. I was told by Devin that I had been once before to the drive in, to see 9 to 5 in Russel, Kansas but I was not yet old enough to form memories so I don't really count that experience. Sunday was different, having sought out the last Drive-in that L.A. county has to offer I was able to take in 2 movies, Horton Hears a Who and The Spiderwick Chronicles. The movies themselves were wonderfully cute, but the experience of the Drive-in was just magical to me. To sit in the comfort of a vehicle drinking your own beer from a can and eating shitty fast food while listening to the dialogue and soundtrack on the car radio is an experience I can't believe I might have missed. Such a great adventure.

Fast forward two days and I was able to attend a screening of the new Martin Scorsese directed Rolling Stones concert film entitled Shine a Light at the IMAX theater in Universal City. Watching 40 foot versions of the Stones performing at a rumbling volume might be better than actually being at the concert. The clarity with which the action unfolds and the active way in which each instrument is mixed in accordance with the action on the screen makes the concert experience alive in a way that it's can't be from a stationary spot in the audience.

Draw your own conclusions about the relative merits of each format. I am off to walk the dogs.

1 comment:

Scarlet said...

I have read them but not seen them, good to know you enjoyed them.