Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Quiet Death


I found the following info on a Shitting Glitter fan site. After reading it I began to have a nagging feeling about trying to make a recording of it. I'm certain the original song is all but lost now, so a blank canvas of sorts is open before us.
Maybe blogging upon the subject will give my band mates a spur in the rear to collaborate on a revival of this song.

Crazy Mae was Kind enough to provide the following information about this Shitting Glitter Rarity:
there was a song called "Quiet Death" that they performed at Rumors. This was when the band was only the three of them, plus they had Yvonne's sister, Aimee playing guitar, and I think that Denny might have been in the band at this time. Anyway, it was very atmospherical and dark, as the title suggests, and they wrote it and rehearsed it only a couple times immediately before the gig. After that they never played it again. Devin says "Amy was like a madwoman that day, demanding that we just whip up one more song, she wanted a new song to sing at this particular gig, and we only had a couple hours before the gig. If I remember right, we actually had quite a lot of people out to this gig, definitely a lot for those days, and we didn't have a drummer at the time. So the set was already weird enough and we were all drunk, and so we just threw it in at the end, very 'in the spirit of punk.' I didn't need to look too far into the crowd to realize that the people on the stage were just as confused about it as I was."

The Same website brought up this:

The Hit

"I was going through some of my notebooks and I have found some information that might be useful to you. This information came from one drunk afternoon at Beer Bust at the Palms, long long ago, when Yvonne was still in the band. I was able to ask a few questions and I wanted to pass this along to you for your "the music makes me smile" section. There was a song called "The Hit" that was the first song that was written by only Amy, Yvonne and Devin after Billy left. It was apparently about hiring a hit man and there was something about a bowling alley in it. Yvonne said they never played it live, but they did record an instrumental demo of it. "

Finally:

Zion

So Haircore:
The first item in the Shitting Glitter discography is "Step Into The Goddess Room", I've had trouble getting information regarding this Release, what can you tell me about it? Specifically the first song, Zion?
Devin:
It was the first demo that we worked on when Amy bought the 4-track. We were going to put it out but then we decided to go to a studio and do a proper demo. The song 'Zion' was a song that Billy, our original guitarist, would play and all four of us would sing in harmony. I remember doing it one night in the bathroom after A LOT of partying... and it was so beautiful. There weren't to many lyrics, I think it was just "if it makes you happy, live your life in Zion." It seems like there was a line before that but I honestly can't remember it. Amy didn't write the lyrics so it was never considered a true Shitting Glitter song.


*lyrics transcribed from a very poor quality audio bootleg (don't ask because I will not make you a copy)

Sweet oxygen
sweet disposition

if it makes you happy

live your life in zion

1 comment:

Scarlet said...

Sounds like your tour was fun and successful! Glad you got to go.