Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Dearly Departing for the Talkin' Shit Tour

Friday I have the pleasure of leaving work a bit early, to go home and pack up the car for a Mini Tour with Shitting Glitter. It's going to be a car load full of fun. We will be traveling with our band, one go go dancer and our manager, Marc Loren. All in one vehicle with all of our equipment. I'm excited as all get out. I love to be out on the open road with the people I enjoy spending time with, playing shows and meeting people and challenges.
The first night in Bakersfield is a bit of an Unknown. We've never played in Bakersfield. We are staying with the band "Three Chord Whore" who we only know from the few times we've played with them or gone to see them play here in LA. We don't even know for certain where we will be playing, and it's 4 days away.
Saturday we will stay with our good friend Carrie, who recently moved up north to attend Golden Gate Law School. That night we play for the second time at Kimo's, where we played on the Carriage of Goods tour.
Sunday it's back to Santa Barbara, to play the gay night at the Wildcat! I'm very excited for this night.
After that we pack up, drive home, I go back to work for 2 days then we play here in Los Angeles in 2 days.

These past 2 weeks we've been working on a song for the Dearly Departed 2 DVD. The song is called Rock, Scissors, Paper. It's a total sixties vibe tune with lyrics that seem to be about a familiar historical event.
A week ago Devin came over to Vincent Free Sound and we started to cut the track first using a very bare bones drum program from our Korg Esx-1.
He then played an organ part on his Roland RS-5. I have no picture of the keyboard part being played.
Next up Devin cut a flute track. You'll notice he's not wearing any headphones. I was experimenting with some playback bleed in order to give a sense of live feel. His flute part really added to the sense of the 60's.
I like to get the most out of Devin that I can, and so at the expense of the neighbors I then had Devin cut some Bongo drums. He was really enthusiastic. Look at those fast hands.

Finally I that first night I added a bass part. Look for this track soon, on the Dearly Departed 2 DVD.

Wish us broken legs.

No comments: