Thursday, June 03, 2010

Over the final hump day and a movie about basketball

Boot Camp nearly broke me last night. About halfway through I started feeling that I simply could not keep up. By the end of boot camp I started feeling paranoid that I was getting sick, since Angela had told me the night before that she was feeling a bit under the weather. I almost sat out the last few exercises because I was certain that I was just making myself sick. After we had finished I was walking back to my vehicle with a boot camp veteran who told me that Robin always goes hardest on the last wednesday and thursday. I wasn't getting sick at all, It was just really damn difficult.
Angie wasn't feeling well when I arrived home. I showered and started dinner and then Angela did the fine tuning of the meal.
Angela fell asleep on the couch shortly after the meal and I tried to pry myself up to go and work on a bit of music, I failed to get to the computer. Yet another day spent thinking about the projects I want to work on and then by the time I get home there is nothing left. I hate when this happens.

I was just about to doze off on the floor when I remember we had recently purchased a nice sativa through a friend of the farmacy. I had a bit of this and suddenly I felt more awake, but still not energetic enough to create. Browsing through my DVR I realized that I had recorded several movies recently from Turner Classic Movies. I love that it's possible to record good movies commercial free with very little effort. I chose to watch the movie "Hoosiers", and boy do I have memories associated with this movie.
The movie apparently came out in November of 1986, and when I turned 8 in march of 1987 it was still playing at the theater in Hays, KS, the nearest movie theater to my home town. From what I remember, my mother and the mother of another boy who shared my birthday, and for some reason I seem to remember my Aunt Sharon, drove me, the other birthday boy and all of the boys from my third grade class to watch the film. I don't have a total memory of the occasion but I seem to remember it being a bit stressful for my mother.
I don't recall off hand if I liked the movie at the time, I'm sure I did since it was about sports, but there might have been at times too much "people" in the movie for my attention span.
I won't critic the movie from my experience watching it this time because I don't care and neither should anyone reading this. It actually just made me think a lot about my dad, and the world he grew up in. He would have been about 10 years behind the timeline of the movie, but still in a fairly similar world. He would have been the age I was when I first saw the movie at the time that the events in the movie took place. Watching it last night I realized that a lot of what I associate with my father's early life comes from movies like this. I am guilty of romanticising Paradise, Kansas in the 1950's and 60's. Of thinking of the world my father grew up in as something simpler and perhaps more wholesome. I wouldn't on most day's trade my experience for his, but I will try my best to honor and respect them.

It was an odd feeling last night, and I didn't fall asleep until very late.

1 comment:

Scarlet said...

I will be sure to have Glen read this one, we are a bit behind, but I know he will appreciate it and we may even watch the movie again...its been awhile!