Monday, March 12, 2007

You Screwed Up My Yawn


This is Amy at 11:00pm last night, after my Friday night birthday, and the fun that followed, and a late afternoon/evening recording session at Seamonster Sounds. We made the trek to the boo in order to cut vocals on Delay, and to have a consideration session on some sound choices for Mustache Rides. I thought the vocals went very well. I can't wait to hear them all in mix. What will become? Great things I imagine.

I had a strange moment, shortly after arriving. A microphone had already been set up, because the Hoagallala always comes correct, but it was covered by a nice red protective sheath. Upon removing the cover a dream snippet from the night before flashed back into my head, in the snip, Amy and I were recording vocals and she brings to me a microphone, a Nuemann TLM-103, and as I pulled the off the red covered mic, guess what lay underneath? a... Nuemann TLM-103

Dreams Yawns and Sleep, it all seems connected somehow.

A small yet significant invention cam about in the vocal recording which had amy simply speaking the first line twice before she actually began singing, after that the rest of the track seemed to suddenly fall in place.
So it starts,
"the spill of wet stills, the spill of wet stills, the spill of wet stills"

Very good for me. I was thinking that the first two occurrences are an awkward kind of premonition, a foreshadowing, and that they are the beginning of the song as a time line, since it's delay that would make sense, and when she begins singing, is when the song begins actually occur in real time, and then she lays out the next couple lines of verse, when before you know it there is a break... a delay if you will, before she "regains conscious need"... see, regain? hmmm...

That was just some vague thinking. Maybe it will make more sense once you hear it. It is really turning into a vastly different, yet much more modern sounding piece then what we went in with. It originally had a very 90's kind of pop hop sound on the verses with a very abrupt compartmentalized chorus section, now things have found their course with a mood that much better fits the lyrics.

No comments: