Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Post 300! Some Pix to Boot!


I made it. 300 posts. That really means nothing really, but it's fun to see that I've actually kept coming here and writing things for nearly 3 years. I have kept journals, but I've never written journal type things in them, I've always just scribbled insane semi poetic song lyrics and directives to my personal savior. I do have one journal in which I endeavor to occasionally spill a few personal beans, and I may have mentioned it here before, it belonged to my grandmother on my dad's side, and had apparently been given to her in 1987, by my brother, sister and I. She never got her mind around to writing anything in it, but it's nice to have as a relic of that great woman.

As promised, here is a rather zany series of photos taken Sunday as Amy and I ventured to Sea monster Sounds in Malibu, California. We left weho in the late afternoon, heading south down Fairfax. Notice the dirty windshield, I've always liked the look of photos taken through a dirty windshield so we stopped in an empty lot and sprayed dirty water on the truck, then we allowed it to dry before heading out, just so the pictures could have that special look to them. Forward and to the right is the famous Eat-a-Pita, where Joel from Brian Jonestown Massacre was filmed in an interview with a plant on his head in the movie Dig.


Just a bit further down the road we passed wonderful Canter's, where Brandon loves to eat. And where it's rumored Kurdt Cobain used to enjoy eating as well. Also it's the sight of the first place I happened to catch a glimpse of Rodney Bingenheimer, who I would later see nearly every day while walking home from the subway, and who would tell me upon my handing him a cd, that we most certainly needed to change our name. I can't help but feel like the Rodney of old would have at least bothered to listen to a band before deciding he had the authority to bark a command like that.
Inside and on the side is the Kibitz Room, where Shitting Glitter played just recently. It was good fun. As I recall the band got free pitchers of beer.


Also here I once met the guy who directed the Nine Inch Nails videos for "Head Like a Hole" and "Down in It"
For these next few, I'll just allow the Pix to speak for themselves, as they pretty much all involve Amy being Amy, and that needs no explanation.



Look! Art!Whoever is driving must be pretty fun! Looks like the subject is really enjoying these pictures!! I must point out also, that of course the driver was not driving
and taking photographs, that would be dangerous. In typical Hollywood fashion the vehicle was mounted to a trailer, and towed through town on the way to Malibu.


Eventually we got on the boring old freeway, which looked much less interesting than even this photo. For those who need to know, this is the 10 west. Which will become the Pacific Coast Highway in the next shot, or the 1.
Where the 10 becomes the 1 the brave driver is forced to pilot his vehicle through a tunnel, and as soon as the vehicle makes it's brave exit, the ocean becomes visible. This is one of my favorite moments in the drive to the studio. It makes me feel very possible.






After a spell down the PCH, we turn towards the studio, I always pause at this spot to gander at this view, it's usually a little earlier in the day, so the splendor of this shot is usually even more apparent.



Amy hates the driveway, and though it can't been seen from here, this is a nice view of the sunset from the top of the driveway.





Inside work was being done, here is A shot or three of Amy between takes of Mustache Rides vocals. Hoagie is pictured turning around to inspire and give direction. Notice Amy is chuckling... Something I've noticed I've been doing a lot when recording this time around. Funny how the last album was cut mainly in apartments and closets, often with friends and fun around, but in my mind,

that album was stressful to record. There was a great deal of fun and excitement that went into making "Free Alongside Ship", but in the end it's colored a bit by the extreme effort that went into aspects of it that were not necessarily cruscial to the recording. This time around, we are working harder, but the work is actual going into the finished product in a noticable way, and that kind of work just feels good.
There is much work to be done, and Devin and I will be making this same trip this weekend, to do some of it. I'm excited already.
Okay, so ends the Three Hundredth Post. It's been fun, those of you who read this, that are not me are a very strange lot indeed, and you are few in numbers, let's keep it that way.

1 comment:

Scarlet said...

300 is enough to impress me! Congrats and keep it comin...