Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Rewind and Play the Tape

Tuesday evening at 5pm... I rush out of work, hop in the van. Check the post of last friday entitled, "the stars are uspide down", it will give you an idea of the next 30 minutes. I was excited. I had a goal. Devin, as yesterday I had mentioned, was back from his trip to Kansas, armed with artifacts of my past. I was en route to meeting him and a few others at a local happy hour haunt.
Upon his arrival at the bar, he handed me a large bag.
The bag contained:

1. CDR, containing a QT video of my new second cousin. Which I actually was to distracted to remember to watch.

2. Three Journals - The very first "band" notebook I ever had, which has a black plastic cover upon which has been scratched "singe" On the back it has a list of "band rules"
they are something like this
a. no yelling at anyone sitting down
b. no making lovely eyes at Mike's bass (as if)
c. if you say something, say it loud enough for everyone to hear
and such and such...
One of the other journals read "plaything", and the other said nothing.

They were rather silly to look at after all, I really took myself and my feelings far too serious. I did find it funny that in the begining of the first one I wrote
"starting this notebook as a way of expressing something, or maybe just to remember. Or just so I can have something to laugh at when I'm old." Oh me! Does that make me old or jsut a dork?

In the Journals I was able to shed a bit of light on a few points, I know now that the Plaything songs I forgot were for the most part untitled. One I believe was called "reality is all in your mind".

3. Gameboy - yes, my old gameboy, complete with tetris. It's so vintage now.

4. Audio Tapes... nearly 10 in all. On them I have found much frustration with the format. It seems that either the devices they were recorded on had terrible problems maintaining a constant speed, or the devices I'm playing on them have terrible problems maintaining consistant speed. On them I was pleased to find the fourtrack Demo of the lost singe recording "peel", which I guess is actually more of a plaything song.
Another tape was mis-labeled as early Singe, when in fact it was an early plaything rehearsal, complete with Chris Leon on drums.

I managed to mix down peel, and then make a geuss at the proper tempo, in the end it's intersting to hear, but maybe not earth shattering, at least I have a document of it now.

There were some post Singe/Plaything Mastertapes, which haven't in my mind festered enough to be totally intersting.

After Devin handed me the bag, I took a few quick drinks with the gang and excused myself. I had to get home and dig in. It was a fun time, but I'm left wondering how much time I should put into my old band, when I really have a lot of work to do with my new one.

No comments: