Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Of Things Being Absorbed

I'm sharp today. I feel pretty well connected to the burning desire components of the brain. Those that want to create, react and experience. It's impart, because of somethings I've been involved in creating, living and experiencing lately. For this post, I'm going to focus what I've been taking into my head in the last couple of days.

First there came the Stan Ridgway album "The Big Heat" I purchased it last week at Virgin. Being as it's the first solo album, and I adore the title track, it would make a great place to begin I decided. The album really interest me a great deal, and over the last week I've found myself steeling moments to indulge myself in it. The track "Walking Home Alone" has a particular attraction to me. I'm ready for a long road trip through the desert.

Next. Last night.

Amy, Marc and I watched "A Scanner Darkly". My GOD. I need to read the book. Why is it no one in my world ever told me I needed to read that book? Really? Where are my mentors on this one? I've never read anything by Phillip K. Dick. And if the movie adaptation of this work is any indication, I've really been missing out. I've spent the morning now reading the Wikipedia entry on Phillip, and the entry on "A Scanner Darkly"

As I read this morning, my ears were being tingled by more new to me sounds, courtesy the ever awe inspiring depths of my good friend Marc's record archive, or as it's been christened, The Marchive. Marc, who has been hearing me blather about Stan Ridgway for the better part of a year, all the while without actually owning any albums, was kind enough to search his well ordered collection and come up with Stan's "Party Ball" and "Holiday in Dirt" These sounds speak to a new developing me. There is a depth of character that cares not for the confines of pop cool. There is a true attempt at expressing what condition the human condition is in, and I am totally fucking diggin it.

This weekend had me programming drums and expressing a lot of things. I feel really ready to dig into some serious new dimension of creation and expression. This is a good world if you can hold on. I gotta good grip at the moment. Which is great, cause in the coming months and year I'm really going to need it. In the next few months I'll be delving into long buried portions of my relatively near past, while at the same time applying newly discovered notions myself and of moral code to my future.
This is going to be a very interesting year, and I can't begin to guess where I'll be or how I'll be there by the end of it. For the time being I'm feeling ready

No comments: