Monday, January 15, 2007

Revealing Old Glories

MLK Day

Devin is now in Kansas, and has been since early Saturday morning. He traveled for a visit with the family and with the intention of discovering long since stored artifacts of our early musical development, specifically those which center upon our young rock band, Singe, and it's younger brother Plaything.
I've only been informed via text message of one discovery and that happens to be of a master copy of a demo for a song called Peel, which I was certain was never recorded. I'm afraid that the tape is actually a four track demo, and perhaps not even a completed one at that, though apparently it does contain the initials, D, B, J, which would at least mean the recording has Joe and Devin involved.

I do still happen to have access to a functioning cassette four track, however, it is not variable speed where my old one was, and I most certainly recorded at a higher rate of speed in order to get a better quality from the cassette tape, though I'm pretty certain that would have been about the only concern for quality put into the recording it self, certainly no attention was payed to quality in the actual "engineering" of any of the recordings. I figure it should work to just attempt to mix the thing down to the computer, then go in and slow down the recording until I can ball park the correct key. It's also possible in theory to use the panning function of a tape deck, and record separate right and left channels on side one and then do the same on the opposite side of the tape and then adjust the speed of each track individually prior to mixing. The only problem there would be alignment.
I'm also a bit concerned as to weather or not the demo will contain vocals, and if it does not, will I actually have to record them now? dear god.
That will only be possibly assuming that one of my journals from that period actually contains the lyrics, and assuming even that, that I remember the melody. If you could call it a melody.
Those journals will be a very interesting item for me. I'm for the most part certain that they contain mostly song lyrics and other attempts at poetry. Most of it certainly god awful and juvenile. I'll probably post pictures of them later in the week though, because I take myself at least that serious.
He returns home very late tonight, so I won't be seeing him until tomorrow evening. I'm giddy.

Maybe more blog today. I feel up to it.

No comments: