Thursday, December 28, 2006

Books

The year is ending and I get kind of emotional about it, in a quiet reserved un-detectable way, but do to that sentimentality I feel inclined now to put in a small entry about where my head is at in relation to the things it's interested in absorbing.

On the book front I'll make it simple by just mentioning what I've got on the plate. I 'm about 3/4 of the way through Salem's Lot by Stephen King, and I've been holding there for about 7 months it seems like. I doubt much I'll finish it. People swore I'd go nutty for the man once i read something other than "the Shining"... I don't know, it just doesn't seem like it's going to happen for me, perhaps a different book will do it.

Independent People by Haldor Laxness, this is an Icelandic book which I'm certain I've mentioned many times. I am actually really almost finished, just like 50 odd pages or so, and it's a pretty big, difficult, for me, book. I have really enjoyed it though. My copy has a special purpose, which I'll get around to mentioning once it's fulfilled.

Omoo by Herman Melville set in the waters around Tahiti and on Tahiti so if you'll notice a certain geographical coincidence in my reading at this time you'll get the relevance of my reading. I'm about 1/4 of the way into this one, I print out 10 pages from a free site online, read them on break and then print out 10 more, in this way I hope to obtain the whole book in both brain and paper sometime in the year 2007.

The Last Cattle Drive by Robert Day I just got this in the mail last night, a gift from Ronnie. We had spoken about it on the phone early in the year, and he was kind enough to remember that and find it on amazon and send it my way. I've already dove headlong into this book, despite all the others I am currently in the middle of because it's just neat. So Far it's set smack dab in the middle of my old stomping ground, and was obviously written by someone from the area, this Robert Day fellow. I really get a bang out of reading about western Kansas, it makes me feel like I really came from a place that exists. Wonderful. Thanks Ronnie. More to come when I actually finish.
Ulysses by James Joyce I received this book in the mail this year, and I should have started it by now. Jason was kind enough to send it this way after it became apparent that I wasn't going to be able to take him up on his challenge to this year run the marathon with him. I want to do that very badly for the record. One day a big package arrives in the post, contained within was this book, inside it said, "Run a Different Kind of Marathon". Don't mind if I do.

No comments: