Thursday, December 28, 2006

How Could I Forget? And the Covers of Singe

I forgot one Singe song to be certain, though it never really hit it's stride until Plaything came to be. It's important to note this one, because it shows that Singe and later Plaything would take a break from taking ourselves so incredibly seriously that we would allow ourselves a little break from it all in order to let it all hang out, and when we wanted to do that, we'd jam on a special tune called "My Favorite Goat"

Starting with a country blues type feel, the lyrics, would seep with energy,
"lately something ain't right, somethings gone a miss, I can never sleep at night, without my goat to kiss"

there would be a build in the music and the first climax of the chorus would erupt,

"Woah, way oh, oh my favorite goat, Woah, way oh, oh my favorite goat, Oh my favorite goat my favorite goa-oat"

Stunning. From there it was an improve jam, usually going back to the regular verse pattern at least once more, to describe more in depth the longing that a lonely farm can feel for his recently departed favorite goat.

From that point the song could go just about anywhere, it was the one place that our band really felt at home improvising. While there may not have been any rules it was always strongly felt by all that we must hit a reggae section somewhere in the course of the jam. There were several times when "My Favorite Goat" would stretch long into the 10 minute opus field, at it always felt good.

We played a live version at our last show at the Old Abandoned Tupperware building, and since then the song has been at rest, except for an occasional solo jam, in the privacy of a bedroom.

Singe Also did our share of covers, I'll list them, for memory sake.

1. Shit List - L7
2. Sweet Dreams - Marilyn Manson version of Eurythmics
3. Off The Wagon - L7
4. Dead Souls - Nine Inch Nails version of Joy Division
5. Dancing with Myself - Billy Idol - Perform
6. So What - Ministry - never done live
7. Polly - Nirvana
8. Kill All The White Man - NO FX

No comments: