Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Lazy Repost

I wrote this for a message board but I'll post it so I remember it...not for your pleasure.


I had a fun thing happen to me last Friday night. I was killing some time in a dog park near my house, playing with other people's dogs when I struck up a conversation with a guy wearing a Brian Jonestown Massacre shirt. We talked for a while about BJM and the Dandy Warhols, then he asked me if I liked Catherine Wheel. I happen to LOVE Catherine Wheel as a matter of fact, and I told him so. He went on to tell me that his name was Hugo and that he was Playing drums with Rob. Apparently he played some percussion at the 2 Hotel Cafe shows and that he is slated to play the 11 or so dates coming up on the East Coast. He wasn't sure if he would be playing with Rob any more after that because it seemed like the producer wanted to bring in a friend of his.
I asked how the he came to be playing with rob and he said that he was at the Lava Lounge one night about a year ago and Rob came up and asked him for a light, to which Hugo said something to the effect of you're Rob Dickenson, and apparently Rob was rather surprised that he knew who he was. During the course of the conversation something about his being a drummer must have come up and they exchanged email addresses. He went on to tell me that he didn't hear from Rob until 6 months later when Rob out of the blue emailed him and asked him to play the shows at the Hotel Cafe.
We also talked a bit about a rehearsal he had been to with Rob on the previous night, where they worked on some of the tracks for the new album, apparently this was sort of Hugo's audition in a full band type setting. He said at the end Rob asked him if he knew any Catherine Wheel songs, which he did, apparently he know most of them. He said they played "Gasoline", "Black Metallic" and "Balloon".
All told it was a fun thing to have happen, and I enjoyed hearing some first hand info about someone I have dug for a very long time. There is always the chance that I just met a very good liar who happened to get lucky in what to lie to me about, but the odds of that are rather slim, and the motives for doing so are nothing short of mind boggling.

No comments: