Wednesday, January 30, 2013

To Proceed or to Succeed

Last night I ran down more new mixes on the S no S album. I'm developing a little plan. I'm starting to feel pulled to do two different things with the record: 1. finish the record fast and move on. 2. take my time and do the record. option 1 would be great, I would get to finish something fairly substantial and move on with other projects. I don't want neglect Turbo Sunshine, which actually has a band and some live shows to consider. I have several commission songs that are going to be tricky and need to be HQ. I need to work on these. Option 2 would be demoralizing in a sense, and it might be being far to precious with the project that is specifically about not being too precious; but is that true anymore? Can I afford at this stage of my life to release something that I know I could make better? So I'm thinking of doing both. I had originally only given myself to the end of this month to finish this record. This month ends tomorrow. To that end I wonder, what if I released an early version of the album strictly on bandcamp, with the option to download for free and pay whatever you like. Then, depending on the feedback and the demand I could then choose to polish the album before a wider release to Itunes and other CDBABY associated services. Perhaps I can event present the idea as a sort of crowd sourcing option... If I get enough Sales/Donations through the bandcamp page I could then use the proceeds to pay CDbaby's $50 album set up fee.

No comments: