Monday, January 09, 2012

Heal pt. 2

Saturday I had big plans and god had a sick sense of humor. Angie and I met Devin, Dylan and long lost cousin Lisa for Brunch in Santa Monica at Urth Cafe. It's always fun to see her and brunch was delicious. After brunch we walked across the street to a gallery where she had 6 photographs hanging. She takes a photo for every day of the year for project365 and she and several other people involved in it were all showing photos.

Next up for the busy day was a trip from Santa Monica down to Long Beach to buy a table Angela and I had fallen for on Craigslist. While loading the table in to the truck, I was standing on tip toes lifting the front end while others pushed when i either felt, or heard a "Pop". The pop was followed by a tingle and a sensation of pain in my right calf muscle. I quickly finished the table transaction and got in the truck. Once inside I explained to Angela that I thought I had a problem. I drove around the block and then parked because I was dying to know if I could walk. The answer was a pretty strong not really. We came back home and discussed what to do with the table. Considering the effort it took to get it in the truck we were pretty certain no one would manage to steal it over night.

Limping up the stairs was dicey but manageable thanks to the railing. I was hoping and hoping that I might get lucky and have a miraculous recovery, allowing me to continue on to the party and club night I had been looking forward to. Jesus, jealous bastard that he is had other plans and I had to resign myself to an evening of television and wondering about how badly I had hurt myself.

As I lay there, thinking about not being able to run for months, I realized I needed a sanity consult. Luckily I have a handy Physical Therapist on speed dial. I left a message, vaguely concealing my panic for dear friend Jason. He promptly called me back and ran through a checklist of my pain and disability. He quickly eased my worried mind and offered a very helpful subscription for icing and pain management, worked like a charm!

Angela wanted to stay home and nurse my wounds but I knew that would be a bad idea. There wasn't much she could do for me and I had a pretty good idea I would be nothing but Mr. Cranky-NoMcfun. I forced her to keep our plans for the evening, leaving me to watch 13 episodes of "Sons of Anarchy". Nothing like commercial free soap opera television when you can't do anything but stay in one reclined position.

Sunday we slept in as late as we could manage. I was cautiously encouraged upon the first small bit of weigh applied to my leg. Even after a stiff nights sleep it was better than the night before. As the day continued I walked on it more, even going to the store where I found that pushing a cart allowed me to walk nearly like a normal. Devin and Dylan came by in the afternoon and helped load the table into the garage for some restoration and planning of the actual move into the house. They stayed and played with the pets for a while, it was good to finally see some friends since I had missed out on my social activity of the evening before.

We watched a few movies in the evening and then went for a little drive.

I slept well though I felt like I could have used another 4 hours. Today feels incrementally better than yesterday. I think by the end of the week I will able to run again, though most likely very slowly and not very far.

It's important to remember and take advantage of the good things that the almighty god allows humans to get away with, because in the end he takes them all, sometimes one by one.

No comments: