Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Tones of Accomplishment


I'm taking my guitar maintenance very serious. It's been really bugging me that I was down to just one well functioning electric guitar. Now I have 3 out of 4 working at capacity, and actually the 4th is as good as it's ever been, but I have bigger plans for it. More on that when they happen.
They guitar I fixed last night was a gift from Angela. Her uncle gave it to her, though in reality she let me pick it out in order to give it to me. This was long before we were the item we are today, this was just a great kindness from a friend. It is the guitar I preferred to play in Invisible Material. Around 6 months ago it developed a short, one of the wires had lost a solder to a volume pot, making on of the pickups not work. I can't be trusted to not flick the switch on accident when I play guitar. I flail like man in the grips of the plague when I play. If one of the switch settings on my guitars could flick to a position where my guitar ceased to make any noise, I would on accident end up in that position constantly, simply by the force of the possibility.
The guitar is a semi-hollow body guitar, which allows it to have a nice ringing tone and also look very pretty, but the down side to that is there are no access panels to get the electronics inside the guitar. The only access is through the "f" hole on the body, which is very tiny in relation to my big fingers. I had been scared to take the guitar apart for many months, I felt that were I to just charge in I would end up with a situation where my guitar made no sound at all, and that I would never get the electronics back inside.
The stand off between the guitar and I lasted several months, and then Ronnie came to visit. On the first night of his arrival, after we had put in many hours of celebration, we decided it would be a good idea to get the guitar working again. Long story short the out come I had be cautious of nearly came to pass. We were able to actually re-solder the bad connection, so the guitar did make noise in all positions, but when it came to getting the tone pots bolted back into position we found the task to be beyond us.
So the stand-off continued. I did some researching on the internet and read about a method of using fishing line to pull the pots through the holes in the body, which works really well if you remember to tie the lines around the pots before you remove them. We of course had not done that.
Last night I got bold and I dove in. Using a paper clip, fishing line and a magnet on stick I was able feed the fishing line through the holes, tie them around the poles, pull them back through and bolt them to the body. I gave the guitar a nice cleaning and a new set of strings. It's now as pretty and playable as the day I got it. I feel proud and relieved.

1 comment:

Scarlet said...

You are a very resourceful guy.