Monday, March 28, 2011

Continuity of Consciousness

I awoke this morning with last nights thoughts still in my head. I felt good and well rested. This is a nice way to wake up. I stepped out of bed and walked into the living room. I did a set of 40 push ups. I wonder how it has happened these days that I remember to do that first thing every morning. Is this the force of habit?
After my push ups I poured Angela a coffee and turned he television program on. I then brought her a pair of eye glasses and head band.

It was in the shower that I realized that I had awoke with the same mundane thoughts as I had when I went to sleep. Occasionally something like this would bother me, but since they were pleasant thoughts I instead felt good about it.

I have been a person who has woke up hungover and wretched, with a vague sense of puzzlement about the thoughts and events of the evening before. Occasionally life calls for this type of a full brain reset, yet I'm learning more and more that this is a rare occasion.

I enjoyed the sensation of my continued conscious, and the accompanying feeling of freshness. If the week actually begins on Sunday as some people perceive it then this continuation makes sense. I had a wonderful Sunday and I hope to make it last the entire week through.

Yesterday I slept till 11am. A phone call from my sister brought me from slumber at a very agreeable moment in my sleep cycle. She was in a good mood and a soon as the sleep fell from my eyes her good mood proved to be contagious. We talked briefly and I then got out of bed to find Angela. She was hungry so I dressed and went to gather breakfast. Bagels were the food of choice this fine morning.

After breakfast we drove to a park in North Hollywood where we started a 2 hour walk. It was a nice peaceful day and when we ran out of park we walked through the surrounding neighborhood. We talked and told each other stories. We hatched plans and ran through imaginary scenarios. At the end of our walk we went to a grocery store to get food for lunch and for the next few days.

When we returned home we ate and cleaned up a touch, then we separated and began work on our own separate projects. I finished the last mix of Alien Nation and then began to set up a project to master Devin's album. I have not "mastered" anything ever, so this was a new experience. With the caveat that I don't really no what I'm doing I agreed to help Devin with this final step of his project. The bonus to him was that I would do it Free and really fast, and that he could attend our session and master it with me. I made a mental rule to myself, "First Do No Harm". With that in mind I set off on the journey. It took about 3 hours to set up the project and do a cursory selection of enhancements for each song. After this period Devin arrived and we got down to business. Things went smoothly, he wasn't happy with the final mix of Alien Nation so we remixed it when we got to it. We didn't have the final version of the song Hoagie did (our fault for beginning without asking for it), but we were able to get a hold of him and he finished his up while we did the rest. The entire process went smoothly and by 9pm we were able to go for a short drive and preview the tracks.

Devin was happy and when we arrived home Hoagie had sent the file. I then burned the master and a back up and sent Devin on his way.

After Devin left I finished restringing 2 of my guitars. I'm on a mission to have all of my guitars up and fully functional this year, and to learn to improve them to the best of my ability. I've ordered new pick ups for one and I've also found a video serious about doing proper set ups. I've decided to dedicate more time to my passion of being a guitar player. I have often let it fall by the wayside for my loves of song writing and production, but this part of me connects directly to the nonverbal emotions of my soul. I need not neglect it so much. Time management has become a pressing theme in my life. Having continuity of consciousness will enable me to hit the ground running each morning.

I retired to the couch last night at the end of my day and tried to watch some TV to relax. My newly restrung stratocaster started calling me. I answered the call and took the guitar to the room to play it unplugged. It sounded amazing. The higher gauge new strings really make the guitar sing. It felt good to wake up today with sore finger tips.

1 comment:

Scarlet said...

Nice blog!