Thursday, February 18, 2010

Citizen Turbo

I have too many irons and not enough fire, or perhaps just not enough time.

I really need to help Devin finish his solo album and I need to finish the S no S project. I am promising myself that I'm going to do both of these things before I get to deeply involved in...

The two new tracks that Devin sent me last night which will become Turbo Sunshine songs!! Turbo Sunshine will be taking over where S no S left off but with the hopes that it is always a collaborative project between myself and at least one other person, hopefully many people. It is the project that I plan to put the most of myself into and something that I really would like to develop into a project that plays live, hopefully sharing stages and possibly musicians with Devin's solo project when that is up and running. I want to take the best parts of S no S, the unpredictablility and energy and further those in more melodic tunes.
Most importantly I want it to be very collaborative and in the spirit the first thing which I have completed which will wear the Turbo Sunshine name is a remix of my friend Bradley's song, "Rock Hard". Bradley puts out music under the name Swivek, and you can check him out here.
Here is the remix:
Rock Hard(Turbo Sunshine Mix) by Turbo Sunshine
Notice the fantastic backing vocals? This is the first recording which Angela has ever sang on. So cute! I look forward to making use of that voice in many projects to come.

The two songs Devin sent over last night were working titled:

"Silver Grey" I like the title and immmediatly started writing lyrics using the two colors. I'm having second thoughts about the approach today, but it was fun to even record a small bit of vocals to it last night. I did lay down a nice clean guitar line around midnight last night, which I think could evolve to bcome something absoloutely wonderful. Once I added the guitar line I realized that it has a certain "ladyslipper" quality to it, I like.

"WNN0438" is an upbeat, synthy number. WNN0438 were the call letters to my family's CB radios which we used on the farm. I started thinking about CB radios and that I didn't know until just a few days ago that C.B. stands for Citizen's Band, and that led me to thinking about the actual fact that all radio and tv bandwidth is publicly owned, which considering how it's so often used as a weapon to bad ends against us seems sort of screwed up. With that thinking I came up with a line for the chorus:
"Hey Citizen, Don't you own the airwaves".
I started working up a talking heads "fear of music" era gutar line for the song that seems like it will compliment all the synths well. This morning I was listening here at work and I heard the beginnings of a bass line.

Turbo Sunshine is going to be a lot of fun for me. Collaborating with Devin is one of my favorite things in the world, I'm very lucky.

1 comment:

Scarlet said...

I like it, good idea to work and sing together!