Thursday, February 05, 2009

Every Day is a Choice

Today as my boss walked through the office and asked me, in a snide tone, when I was going to change my hair back to blond, it occurred to me at that moment that we make tiny choices everyday and the type of world that each of us lives in is dictated by those choices. If you ask almost anyone if they would like to live in a new vibrant world where unexpected things happen and there are new things to behold each day I believe that most people would say that they would like to live in that world. The reality of our world is that this is and easy possibility for us, it's a choice away. You can live in a new world or you can hide from it, every moment while you are on this planet.
There are people that do things, that change things, and there are people who fight change and don't take chances. It's obvious to me that rewards are only heaped upon those that seek them, that risk embarrasment and nays from the naysayers to get them. There is no reward for not trying. For keeping your same hairstyle or haircut. If you talk to no one new there are no new friends. If you listen to nothing new there are no new favorite songs. Read nothing new and you will never again experience the joy of connecting with a book that means something to you.
I just recently learned this lesson again. I balked about my new band recording already. I said we weren't ready and thought poorly about it's outcome. This was fear on my part and I tried to get out of it. Luckily Robin had enough belief to make it happen, I am grateful. I enjoyed the experience and its out come fully. I love to play guitar and make records, yet still the fear nearly got the best of me. This is why I blog today, not to admonish anyone, because I understand how easy it is to make the wrong choice, or make no choice at all. I don't want anyone to unknowingly live in that world.
Lets put our best foot forward and support each other in new endeavors. If someone tells you they are doing something don't let the first thing out of your mouth be a negative. Don't tell someone what is wrong with a new plan or idea first thing. Look for and express the good in it, because it will improve your world too if the people around you do new things. It could lead to something new and beautiful for you. It's a very simple choice.
You may not like my hair black, you may not like my new bands recording, but what does that get you? You have nothing new to love if you don't decide to love it.

I am learning now not to build my sense of self esteem from that which I have alreday accomplished, I want to build it from how I will react to situations in the future. Not that which I've already stored in my mind, but my ability to process and adapt to the new things that come to me.

3 comments:

Devin Tait said...

This is very true. It's always easier to not do something, but it's almost never as rewarding.

jony said...

guitar information visit my site
http://musicalinstrumentscool.blogspot.com/

Scarlet said...

Hmm, maybe I should rethink that same old haircut I'm getting next week.