Friday, February 20, 2009

3 D


Last night Angela and I went with some friends to see Coraline in 3d. I have to say I was blown away. This was the second 3d movie I've attended in the past few weeks, the first being My Bloody Valentine. I am really impressed with where they are taking the theater experience, of course like anything I'm also a little concerned with the unintentional side effects, such as to what extent will some moveis subsitute the 3d effect for believeable characters and a good story? Really though there are plenty of shit movies made in 2d so my concern isn't that great.
The story behind Coraline and the animation would be stunning in regular flat picture anyway. My Bloody Valentine was certainly improved by being in 3d, but it's a slasher picture so what really does one expect? It was a thrill ride and I'm not ashamed to use that term.

I'm so excited to see this advancement. It really makes going to the movies special, even if it now costs 30 bucks for two people to see a movie together. 35 if you count the small bottles of smuggled in champaign.

Perhaps my favorite part of Coraline were the night sky backgrounds. It reminded me so much of Western Kansas on a clear night in my childhood. I really really long to see the sky this way again. The last time I experienced so many star would have had to have been at night in Tahiti. I love the feeling of wonder that comes with feeling your true proportion to the universe. Not even a drop in something far larger than a bucket, so good for the ego to remember it's place, it's another demintion entirely.

No comments: