Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Now Does Compute

My poor computer was savaged by the evil beast called spy ware. It was shut down, hopeless and feeling withdrawn from other computers. It could barely play a DVD, which passes for our television. It was a sad state of affairs and I wasn't exactly certain how much it was going to cost to fix, or how financially possible it would be to fix it in a timely manner. I was very very unhappy with the situation, particularly because I did it, and I know better. Way better. I had trouble publicly admitting it happened to me because I felt like a tool, but that gets no one anywhere does it.
Self admonishment aside this is not a sad story. It had been a sad story though, and the story was nearly a month old. I think it took a month to address the problem properly because I was so pissed at myself I couldn't properly think about my options. Once I could I soberly assessed the situation. I have a nice powerful PC with very little on it in the way of crucial programs or documents. Since the computer had recently been sabotaged by an Ex, I had to reinstall most of my programs anyway, so I knew they were all in one handy place. There was a question of could I safely remove the documents I wished to salvage. I answered this question on Sunday by moving them all to a USB Drive.
Finally this is a slight tale of redemption. I had decided that I would wipe my hard drive, reinstall windows and then just load my programs drivers and documents in again. My last obstacle was finding the XP system disc which came with my computer. Sunday I went through all of my boxes and tried to no successful outcome. As a last desperate resort before buying a new copy or begging one off my boss I sent an email to the computer sabotaging ex. Shockingly she found the disc and returned it to me the next day. I spent last night going through the motions. in three hours I had a clean computer, good as new!
I'm thrilled. I love to compute.

If you have similar problems and don't mind starting from scratch, check out this how to link, I highly recommend it.

One more useful tip. Tired of RoboCalls? Got a Fax Machine Calling your phone over and over? When you answer one of these calls dial 9 nine times. it tells the computer to leave you alone. Handy!

2 comments:

Devin Tait said...

Computah says "YES"!
**cough**

Scarlet said...

Yay! Good for you!