Monday, January 28, 2008

the rainy shades

Things plod along. Some disappointing news over the weekend. We won't be playing Athens Pride in Greece as I had been Hoping. So now already it would appear that one item on my list will not come to pass. This is not exactly heart breaking, it's just unfortunate. I have always wanted to go to Greece.

SG is currently going full force after a brief side tracking. Recording on Album number 3 is hitting a higher gear than it's been at for some time. Last week I spent both Tuesday and Thursday night working with Hoagie at Seamonster Sounds. Wednesday night I spent practicing at home. It can get difficult to work an 8 hour day, drive for close to an hour then play guitar for 4 or 5 hours, only to turn around drive a half hour home walk in the door, plop down and have a drink, retire to the bedroom to sleep less 6 or 7 hours and wake up for work again. My god, that sounds like complaining. I actually put it out there just as a way of recognizing how much I love doing what I'm doing.

I don't pursue my musical obsession because I am chasing a carrot stick of fame and fortune, I do it because I love it. In our pop culture obsessed country, particularly my pop culture obsessed corner of it; is easy to become confused about ones own motivations. Cashing in as it were. Sure it would be nice to not have to suffer through the early mornings of work after the late nights of my life. On those mornings I just lean in close to my desk, pull my hat down to the top of my eyebrows and close my eyes. As I drift a bit in the ether I think about the music I have still to make, and how important it is to me to make it. Then I don't feel more tired then alive.

*****

Yesterday was a good day. Woke up late and watched 2 episodes of the show "The Riches". Then picked up Devin and went to rehearsal at Satellite Studios in Atwater Village. We got to play with our drummer Alexa for the first time in almost 2 months. Rehearsal went great and we started hatching many plans. Afterwards I got to go eat Baja Fresh w/ Devin and then the two of us went to see "There Will be Blood" at the arclight Theater. It was nice to just be out doing something alone with my brother. I loved the movie. It was all the sweeping scenery that a person needs sometimes. It was beautiful and could probably have gone on for another 2 hours.

*****

Today I am again a bit beat. I've already pulled my self through the time of the ether and I'm now using this blog to awaken my fingers. Sipping wonderful coffee.

I'd die for my life but I wouldn't kill for it.

No comments: