Thursday, July 26, 2007

Stoned

This past week I've been stealing little bits of time to take in a movie called "Stone Reader". It's a documentary, and since it's about a book, and reading books, it's a difficult film to get many people involved in. The pacing is also not up to the moments attention span, which is to say it's actually a really great film to watch.
I began my viewing on Monday night, getting 12 minutes in before I realized I was creating boredom in my household. I picked it up again on Tuesday, and I was able to watch a good 45 minutes or so. To have to stop viewing was very difficult, but I had family in from out of town and didn't feel right about forcing everyone to sit quietly with me while I finished another 40 minutes of a documentary about books. Finally last night I was able to finish it, this time even my other found herself drawn in. It was really a moving piece of work. It reminds a person about the beauty of difficult tasks. It's reminded me why I like to blog in the first place and why I should be doing it when I have the opportunity.
The film focuses on a man named Mark, and his journey through life as a reader, and in particular his love of a book that seemed to be very near to dissapearing. The book, by Dow Mossman, "The Stones of Summer", was published in 1972, it recieved rave reviews then began to slip from the eye of most minds. "Stone Reader" chronilces Mark's quest to find the author, and other people who have been similarly touched by "The Stones of Summer" or even by other nearly forgotten books. You can view the website for the film at:
www.stonereader.net
Or Mark's non profit foundation for lost books at:
www.lostbooksclub.org

If you are so inclined, buy me the book, I can't afford it and really want it.

No comments: