Monday, July 24, 2006

Rumble Fishing

This heat is really a bad idea. I hear the lizards are thrilled. I on the other hand have been involved in a serious battle of maintaining some will to live a life outside of the only air conditioned room in our apartment.
Friday was a long day at work, preceded by a night of very little sleep and some strange Robert sponsored event at the palms which had me wearing a razor blade around my neck and a white tank top covered in fake blood. The things we get ourselves into. So it was hot Friday, and work was long and tiring. I came home and slept a few hours then loaded up the guitar and drove SG across town for rehearsal. Rehearsing later at night was pretty fun, I for one enjoyed it. That part of my day was very good.
The progress on new songs is pretty dramatic. I'm surprised at the many varied ideas that are coming out and the relative ease with which they are recalled and executed. I guess it goes to show that still there is improvement in the abilities of the musician, in this case musical memory. I'm hard pressed to pick a favorite tune at this point, but I would say the outro section of "legalese" is right on top for the moment, probably because it's brand new, and I managed to think of the guitar part the first time I heard it, and then play it the first time I picked up the guitar, that was totally a first. Exciting.
Friday I stayed up perhaps a bit too late after rehearsal, which led to a rather lazy Saturday, spent sleeping next to the air conditioner in a blacked out bedroom. I got up towards the late after noon and prepared to play an out door house party. Note to self: no outdoor house parties on days when hells tempature hath invaded the earth. The setting was the same as last month's out of doors house party. It was not as fun to haul all the required equipment considering the current weather, but I still managed to enjoy getting free run of sound control.
Being that the backyard is small and the neighboring apartment buildings tower directly over the stage it makes for a nice volume controlled intimate setting.
I even have had the bizarre chance to use my small amp, an old peavey solid state amp that has not been played out in significant time. In fact, it was the first guitar amp I ever bought, for something like 200 dollars on the day of my very first show with my very first band singe. I hated it for years, thought it was lifeless and cold. I used it on the recording of the SG rarity, Calendar Girl for just said cold and lifeless reasons. I have found though in these two opportunities to make use of it that I have grown up enough to be far more able to enjoy the sounds it makes and with a better idea of settings which make for that enjoyment.
So the show itself was just horridly sweaty. I was just dripping and shining. The songs themselves seemed at least to me to come off well. We tried out a new version of backdoor jesus which we'll be opening with at san diego pride. We also played the new song spoke of above, "legalese", which while not down perfect came off extremely well, so much in fact that we had people wanting to buy the cd that it's on, except, it's not on a cd. Wait people. Food Drinks Music is underway, but buy Free Alongside Ship for now, because it's so totally awesome and worth it! YAY!
Sunday was absurdly lazy as well. I slept like a dead rockstar until about one in the afternoon, then Amy and I watched Rumblefish in the black dark of the bedroom. I LOVED it. Nothing but total admiration for the performances the photography and the sounds. I have to give a shout out to Hoagie Hill on this one, I would never have thought to put it on netflix had it not been for his commenting when he finished mixing the FAS version of lady slipper that it was now "very rumble fish". So thanks Hoagie, I appreciate it.
Following rumble fish I went and bought horrid bad for a person food, which we ate in a ridiculous manner while sprawled in the dark. Fun times.
I then put in another net flix strange one, "The Missouri Breaks". Amy had texted me to ad it one day, then promptly forgot that she ever told me to do that or why she would ever have told me to. I did find it kind of interesting, but it was no rumble fish. Kudos to Brando for being just that odd.
I finally conquered my fear of extreme heat enough to venture out into the front part of the house, which is basically a big stupid oven. I fought hard to maintain a constant flow of ice water. I set up some basic equipment and proceeded to rehearse and contemplate a new song, which we've been calling "that noir song", however I think I may have convinced Amy to name it "black magic marker". The verse is much slower and spaceful than I am accustomed to playing, so it took me a long while to figure out how to play it to a click, and what tempo to set the click too, this problem was confounded even more by a slightly dramatic change in tempo from verse to chorus. I sweated like billy idol in dancing with myself but I was happy to do it.
We ended the day by having dinner with devin and dylan. It was a warm weekend, but I guess in the end I was glad to be alive and living in it.

No comments: