Thursday, July 27, 2006

Like Amy Changes Hair


Time dances on. I can't believe that tomorrow we leave to go play San Diego pride, for the third year in a row. How can it already be three years? I have to remind myself with things like this blog in order to even keep track of accurate passage of times. Telephone poles and picket fences you know.
Further compound the problem by considering that I've been reading about synchronizing delay times in milliseconds to BPM in music*. Once again I found myself using the internet to do a bit of research on a subject that I have wondered about for years, many years, and when I find the answer I sought, it's really not all that hard. Here I am wondering why I never bothered to look this stuff up before. I guess this was my time to learn this.
That kind of thinking can be a good attitude adjustment but is it really helpful? by this kind of thinking I mean this idea of an ordered universe where we as people encounter the knowledge and experience we need when we are ready for it as opposed to just running about henny penny in the world gobbling bit's this means this and this does that at random intervals. Really, it was pretty stupid of me that I've made recordings in the past and just randomly jogged around a wheel or a knob in order to set a delicate time based effect. Why oh why?
Then I'm reminded well if everyone just used a formula for delay and punched in the BPM and then set the milliseconds to the note value things would sound pretty much the same. Theory everywhere. Theory nowhere.

I made progress last night on some guitar parts, Black Magic Marker seems to be coming along swimmingly, or at least it's starting to float. I feel the beginnings of some actual confidence in my work to a click now, it's hard won but isn't that the best way to win?
I worked on Idiot Light a little also, which isn't to say it was work, mainly practice.
I also modified my rhythm approach to a newer tune "cuffo speech", which I think adds a great deal of punky viability. That could be a huge over estimation though. It felt more fun though. I can speak with total authority over how it felt.
I also took the late night sketch demo for a fun song amy and I made called "Justin Case" and figured out what the hell I was playing. Thats always fun. It's funny to record an idea really fast basically as you write and then be able to go back and actually figure out what the hell you were thinking that moment and carry it through. I find me impressing myself again. The 17 year old me with a very confused look on his face with a guitar in his hands can feel a little better about what he might one day be able to do.

*There is a way to use delay to synchronize echoes to your music. What I do is have the echoes play in time with each quarter note, eighth note, sixteenth note, and so on. Start by figuring the Delay Time needed to synchronize the echoes to each quarter note. To do this, just divide 60,000 (the number of milliseconds in one minute) by the current Tempo (measured in beats per minute) of your song. Which for a Tempo of 120 bpm, you get 500 milliseconds. If you set the delay time to 500, the resulting echoes will sound with a quarter note pulse. To figure out the Delay Time for other note values, you need to divide or multiply. Because an eighth note is half the value of a quarter note, you simply divide 500 by two to get 250 milliseconds. A sixteenth note is half the value of an eighth note, so 250 divided by 2 is 125. See how that works? If you want to find out larger note values, just multiply by two. Because a half note is twice as long as a quarter note, you multiply 500 by 2 to get 1000 milliseconds.

No comments: