Thursday, July 20, 2006

Moving on Along

Writing, Jamming and demoing keeps plugging on "Food Drinks Music". All of it is head and shoulders above anything I've ever been a part of, and to think I was nervous about topping "Free Alongside Ship". I guess for superstition sake I will make note here that we are no where near done, not even close and I'm already getting all full of ourselves. Not prudent to go running off at the fingers like that.
Amy and I demoed a new number last night, it's got a bit of a cock rock feel to the intro, but Amy sounds like Pat benatar on the Chorus. It's called "The Red State". I'm really into it. I was lucky enough to stumble upon a little riff last night to bring the guitar back from the chorus to the verse in fun way. I love when that happens, gets me all excited to get to play it.

Last Friday we had a fun rehearsal, more of a community affair, attended by the dancers and Marc. We made a Huge breakthrough on the noir number, the chorus in fact. I was noodling on an idea trying to find a way to spice up the song in the chorus section and give it a "spy hunter" sort of feel when Dylan Shrieked with delight at a particular noodle. Had he not been there to do that I most likely would have moved on to another riff and not persued the thought to completion.

The trip to play in Iceland is coming up now very soon. Titter Titter. I'm reading a book by Iceland's Nobel Prize winning author, Halldor Laxness. The book "Independent People" is set on an old time Sheep Farm, and I can assume is based on one mans struggle for personal independence. I'm not all that far into it, but I am really enjoying it and it feel really nice to be back into reading after these last few months of periodical nothingness.
I've been researching in my spare time about Iceland and it's people. I'm so very intrigued. It seems like such an unlikely place.

No comments: