Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Basis

I picked out a Bass amp and cabinet for Devin last Friday night, found it on craigslist and picked it up on the way home from work. The amp is a Hartke 3500. The cabinet is an old Peavey 1516 with a blown 15 inch speaker. I got both at a really nice price, so that by the time I pay for the replacement basket for the speaker in the cabinet we will still have a nice bass rig for a really low price. We tested the head at rehearsal, and I think it proved itself worth while.
I've been working towards having the sequenced drums and bass lines treated as separate entities in the live world for some time, with the new set up we will be able to do this fairly easily. I think taking some of the watt sucking low end out of the system we use to amplify the drums will give us a much thicker fuller sound. It should also give more control to the sound man when dealing with the overall mix. There are some kinks to work out in the process, but I think it will be a good time to re-think some things.

No comments: