Wednesday, June 23, 2004

I have come to the garden

Out of one of my bosses office softly comes the voice of the late Johnny Cash, he's singing his mother's favorite hymns, my computer screen pours light which my brain interprets as words. I have to admit to being a sucker for good music journalism. It's a pretty sure fire thing, being a music journalist, combining two universal cools, bringing the truth about music, to the people who need it. It is really a big lie, but one that I'll buy, or get for free from the internet. I used to get it for free in my mailbox, from a postman who was obviously sympathetic to the starving musician, who only gets credit card bills and music gear catalogs. I think I really over-estimated my motivation when I started to write here today, writing like I was going to show you some truth about a musicians realationship to music journalism, I think I should have just mentioned that I had a nice relaxing morning, not working at work, hearing second hand Johnny cash do second hand hymns, and filling up my musical motivation with the excitement and envy that I get while reading about other people and their music, and their clothes and the way their hair falls into their eyes, and they way they talk all slow or all bombastic or the way they aren't really like those other things I've read about them, believe me, I did read those other things, and I believed them if I wanted to. In the end I've known since I was sixteen that it was silly to believe it or not to believe it, but I crave my personal soap opera, just like some people need to be involved in their church functions or some people are politically active. Cause it fills up my person a bit, and it makes it easier at times. Would I make music with out music journalism? Would politicians politic without newspapers? I don't even care right now, I'm going to read about The Strokes meeting fuckin' Lou Reed, and dig it the whole time.

No comments: