Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Life on Mars

Monday afternoon Ronnie and I were speaking about the possible discovery of life on Mars. This lead to a discussion of an S no S song called "Bring on the Aliens". Lyrics:

Come on, bring on the aliens, I can't wait to see the look on your face, one million light year fall from grace

Come on, bring on the aliens Don't ask me to help hide your shame the evidence is all around and we're to blame

It's time to re-write the rules time to re-arrange some visitors have come and they've brought change.

It's a spacey song, in a first for S no S my brother Devin composed the music. I've had the song at the back of my mind and in a state of partial progress for a few years. When I told Ronnie about it I decided I would take some time and see if I could polish it up and finish it. Monday night I went home and did just that, and feeling rather inspired I continued to work on more S no S tracks, mixing a demo of each song down as I went. 10 songs flew out faster than I had expected. I've decided now that I'll pursue this muse for the next few weeks and finish this album up. I've completed a lot of S no S archival work recently and that has made me feel great, and more creatively free.

So sometime in January I plan to release "10 Digits" by S no S. It's been 10 years since we last found S no S wandering with aimless glee through the folky pastures of "May April". What a Difference a decade makes. The Machines have taken over and the acoustic guitar has nearly disappeared. The landscape of "10 Digits" is capable of being either bleak and spartan or lush and sometimes chaotic. The point of view has grown at times more hostile, certainly more seasoned but still capable of optimism. The most noticeable growth for S no S has been in technical achievement, the years between albums have seen an explosion of new and more affordable gear, and studio experience with many other musical projects has made for a better understanding of how to effectively use it. ultimately "10 Digits" is a journey back into the self. Where "May April" was a goodbye with one foot out the door towards adventure, "10 Digits" is the veteran come home. Pull up a chair, smoke it if you have it, and crank your stereo, let me tell you where I've been.

No comments: