Thursday, May 10, 2012

Walk a Smile

I'm on the subway, just leaving North Hollywood. I'm glad the train is gaining speed and volume as it means I'll no longer have to hear the conversation taking place in the seat in front of me. Already they are drowned out. I walk here after work because Angela had a job interview today in Westwood, and she then drove across town to eagle rock to help our friend Tiger prepare his art space for a show. I'm on the redline headed down town, where I will then transfer to the gold line so that I can meet her there.
Sometimes it feels like a pain in the ass to always be making plans and doing things after work but I realize on days like this how good for me it is. Breaking a routine is good for my mind, and it gives me new thoughts.
As I walked from work to the subway today I was thinking about an article I read which talked about how the act of smiling can make you feel happiness, even if you were not happy prior to smiling. I report anecdotally that is worked. To be fair I was already happy to be out for a walk on a beautiful day, but it made me feel even better to smile as I walked. I even started a game where I would try to make eye contact with people as I passed by them, and I would smile big at them as I did, they nearly all smiled back, it was good fun.
I'm at hollywood and vine, under where my brother works. Hi devin.

The subway car is now full. I wonder how much it weighs.

1 comment:

Scarlet said...

U R Funny!! I do the "smiling" thing all the time with my students and staff, it works very well! I always smile at strangers on my walk, and wave to people on their front porches, but we have a friendly neighborhood, anyway. Also try always calling others by their first name when you greet them at parties and work, etc., they LOVE that! (Do you already do that, it seems like something you would do).